What did you do at work today?

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Jim McClain, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I thought I'd try this to see if I could encourage members to post more regularly or more often. Share a little of your day with us, even if it seemed mundane to you. Tell us about an installation, a sale, the mess you had to clean up in the warehouse. Tell about the progress you made on a new invention or procedure. Tell us about a particularly long drive to a jobsite. Tell us about the seminar you attended last night or the convention you are at right now. Tell us something different every day. Make this the longest ongoing thread on TFP.

I'll start: I revived an old topic and uploaded some pictures. Yeah, since TFP is my job, that's what I did today. Well, I did some security work on the server to protect us from virus and malware too. Some things are so routine that I forget about them soon after they're done.

My bet is, whatever you did at work today is more interesting than what I did. Let's hear about it. Every day's a new day and an opportunity to share it with the rest of us.

2. jmhahira

jmhahira Pro Member

Here is a good one. I repaired some seams in heatweld vinyl today. Installed about 1983. No chance of matching so we installed stripes of different color.

3. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Finish up the 2nd day of the CFI certification, hard part was not passing a few people. Always hard to set them down explain why.

4. Jim McClain

Cool, I'd like to see pics of that. :yesss:

I can imagine. Are there do-overs allowed, or does a fail always mean to go to another certification at a later date?

5. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Does reading the posts on TFP count as work?
    Further my knowledge about flooring? :)
    Well its Sunday here and I got a day off :D

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The title is.......What did you do at work today?

I did not work today, nor tomorrow! I did talk to a colleague, (Bearman on TFP).

7. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

Well, I got up real early, about 9:30, and did nothing all morning. I broke for lunch about noon, took my nap and went back to doing nothing until 4pm, when I knocked off for the day.
    About 4:30, the wife and I took the flag down from in front of our condos.
    (I am President), so I am done with that til next spring.
    My wife fixed my supper and I sat down to rest up for my bedtime.
    That pretty much wrapped up my day.
    Dick

8. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I finished up what I didn't get done yesterday which was nothing. I wasn't done with that so I didn't do nothing today. Really my granddaughter graduated from college today so we went down to southern Michigan and attended the cerimonies and then to dinner In Jackson, Mi and on home in a snow storm a lot of the way.

Congrats to my granddaughter Kaitlyn. :yesss:

:old:

Daris

9. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

Did a nice house on the lake this week, for my dentist.

Attached Files:

10. Grant H

Grant H I'd rather be patting my dog.

Fitted 190² mtrs of carpet tiles (flat cove) in the local Courthouse that we prepped yesterday (double stick uplift, move and replace furniture). Like Jon said it's Sunday here but hey...what ya gonna do.

11. UncleCliffie

UncleCliffie Charter Member

I just figured out that I am getting behind on my loafing. Looks like I need to hire a part-time loafer to help me catch up. Would Craig's list be a good place to put an ad to hire a part-time loafer? Just asking.
    Dick

12. Jim McClain

All the really good loafers never get around to placing an ad on Craig's List. :ohno:

13. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Since this is a short week I'll be in my office all week.

Today, I set up a schedule for our reps to deliver Christmas presents to our dealers. Then I followed up on 2 pending claims I'm trying to get resolved.

I've also had several calls with technical installation questions ranging from glue recommendations to floor prep. 2 calls from A&D firms needing budgetary numbers for different products we handle.

I finished compiling a complex quote for a hospital project we're specified on for 3 flooring contractors who are bidding the job. Switched another spec over to some specialty treads and nosings (glow-in-the-dark) for a project that bid a week or so ago - the flooring contractor couldn't get a call back from the specified manufacturer and called us to see what we had to switch to.

I'm currently working on updating a 30 page price list for one of our lines. It needs to be updated due to several product drops and new introductions. Just stopped to look and see if any new posts as I needed a break from the spreadsheet because my eyes are starting to go googly.

Pretty typical day so far.

14. Writing quotes and educating boat owners/homeowners about cork. Educating "contractors" about cork and in-floor radiant heat, etc. Snooping around TFP and Houzz (send them this way anytime something seems well beyond the reach of most "DIY" events.

Fun and good times all around. TTFN

15. asevereid

asevereid Adam the FNG

Going stir crazy. No work for the last 10 days. Waiting for a confirmation on a drywall job. Continuing to put pressure on a builder that hasn't paid yet (net 30...going on 37). Not a single flooring job this year to date.

16. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

571 s/y Move furniture, demo glue down carpet and install C&A carpet and base in the library of a local high school. Work order said NO FURNITURE.

I've been installing since for ever and NEVER do you go into a public school library that the furniture +++++ 10 tons of BS doesn't need to be jockeyed around. 4 guys barely got 1/3 done in 8 hours.

I was glad I didn't have to return to finish the job. Going elsewhere tomorrow to a much more horrible fate. But different is always good-----------until you get there.

17. Direct carpets

Direct carpets Pro Member

Started 2500 ft of LVT in two school offices. Had to remove the old power bond carpet. It was a mess. Used the Sinclair Turbo machine to remove the carpet in 1ft strips. under that was VCT in some areas. Other areas had VCT and no carpet. They wanted the VCT to stay so we prepped and sanded and prepped and sanded.
    Got 90% of the prep done and about 400 ft installed. Have 2 more days to complete.

18. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

This year is almost over, you need to start booking for next year. If it weren't cold up there you might have to build a wall to keep me out.

Grind-ed pressure sensitive adhesive off slab all day.

Attached Files:

19. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

19'3 bathroom with two walk in closets. Was a trick but turned out good.

Attached Files:

20. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm turning a 2 Br apartment job into 3 wonderful days of work. :old:
    Just me, myself and I, and the lingering smells from previous tenant and cat :eek:

Mike