What did you do at work today (2020)?

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Jim McClain, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

This helps to encourage members to post more regularly or more often. It was started in 2016 (this post is actually a partial copy of the first post that year) and it continues here in 2020. Please share a little of your day with us, even if it seemed mundane to you. Tell us about an installation, a sale, the mess you had to clean up in the warehouse, the customer that made your day better (or worse). Tell about the progress you made on a new invention or procedure. Tell us about a particularly long drive to a jobsite. Tell us about the seminar you attended last night or the convention you are at right now. Tell us something different every day. Make this the longest ongoing thread on TFP for 2020.

Every day's a new day and an opportunity to share it with the rest of us. Have at it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Playing with some tile for a few days. It’s a nice change of pace.
    26CE800D-6D5D-4824-951E-35228AD62157.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Cant recall ever installing a pattern carpet with a pattern border. Specs on the blueprint call to "match existing". They had done the demo in the Executive Lounge and restroom vestibules but you could see in the old glue it was a 2' border. Plans showed a 3' border. Took them almost a week to get that straightened out.

IMG_5650.JPG IMG_5650.JPG IMG_5647.JPG IMG_5646.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  4. Chris 45

Picked up a 20 volt jig saw along with the dust chute and screen. I’m hopin it has a bit better dust containment than my other one.

2E009AB5-8968-4819-B94B-EAD6B4C95213.jpeg F0DD8067-83D8-4E02-85BE-8B3F0B91349B.jpeg 422FEEC0-EAF0-4756-90E9-4A6B507AE5E4.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  5. So I had one of those weird Mondays where I got a little bit of everything...

Today, I fixed one of the owners computers and installed a new backup drive for it.
    I tweaked some stuff on a new server that we installed about 3 weeks ago.

Then I took about 5 technical / installation phone calls. Some of these can get pretty long. (I talk just like I post!) ;)

I had about 4 or 5 emailed orders that I processed.

Had a call from an architect who is wanting to specify some LVT for a wall application. (Yes, it's possible to do this.) Walked through the specification with him as well as the installation requirements. That was about a 30 minute call.

Took a few more orders and had a call regarding potential claim.

While I did all that I was working on writing and working on a bunch of code for a computer project that I'm working on for our company.

Kind of a normal day for me anymore. Code, phone call, code, phone call, code, phone call, etc., etc. :)

Probably a bit different than what a lot of you do daily. Just thought I'd share for a little variety.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

EDD66D4F-C733-440F-ADE8-627C4733296C.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I have been doing so well with buying new tools lately, it is amazing. I have finally reached a point where i know i have every thing i "need" and then some. That isnt to say i dont have wants, but i have been trying very hard to keep them just that... wants

8. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I tore out 450 sq ft of vinyl and put two coats of ardex down in a hospital imaging room that is going to get $1mm piece of equipment...pretty much the same as you

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

They wanted walk off mats (Tarkett Abrasive Action) at the entry to the mult- purpose room in a Junior High. 4 entry doors 6'7" x 8'9"

IMG_5657.JPG IMG_5659.JPG IMG_5660.JPG IMG_5661.JPG IMG_5662.JPG IMG_5663.JPG IMG_5664.JPG IMG_5665.JPG IMG_5666.JPG IMG_5667.JPG IMG_5668.JPG IMG_5669.JPG

Cleaned up up and passed the buck upstairs to the Facility Manager and General Super (my boss)

10. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Did some Hallmark for the first time, 7.5" plank, fumed, oak with an oil finish. Nice floor, but way too much color and grain for these folks, made installing difficult. Very frustrating to complete a job where I don't think they are truly happy with things out of my control. Sample board did show some character, but not to the actual extent it existed, and not all the color changes. Opened 10 boxes at the start, let them grade and select the "culls", and only 3 or 4 had actual flaws or damage, ( amazing) the rest were colors or knots. These I use up under the bed, entertainment center and furniture, which isn't the solution it sounds like. The last pic, shows a board which passed their initial inspection, but they wanted removed after it was installed. First pic, second row, I use layout string and a couple scraps, to make sure that 20 ft long wall going down into the LR is straight before fastening, low tech, but it works

IMG_20200122_123752.jpg IMG_20200123_100857.jpg IMG_20200123_110743.jpg IMG_20200123_152253.jpg IMG_20200123_153002.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. Chris 45

I’ve been in that situation before and that IS the solution if they want the floor installed now. Otherwise they’re waiting for new material and acclimation. It’s frustrating at best and not an efficient way to work.

12. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Cleaning up the house today, having a bunch of old friends over for a meal and catch up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Luke George Hladky

Luke George Hladky Luke Sky Floorer

IMG20200123115243.jpg IMG20200122145529.jpg IMG20191228122314.jpg IMG20191227100625.jpg 9 classrooms done like this in an Airlay Tile. Nice and Easy feature to do.
    850m² complete in 4 day's by three of us. All up stairs

• Like Like x 5
  14. JCW355

JCW355 Pro Member

Prep and installed some vct

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

20200130_054656.jpg Been working way in that crazy behemoth for the last few days, remove leveller and reinstall and the cap it with some pvc
    Wanna talk about a pain in the ass. .. it is in dry dock and there are no elevators!!

16. kylenelson

Pretty slow January for me, here are a couple of random pics of jobs. Nothing special or interesting.hh

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Luke George Hladky

Luke George Hladky Luke Sky Floorer

Well, if you start getting the shits with the job just step outside for 5 minutes and do a little fishing.

18. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

The little customer seems very happy with his new diaper installation ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. kylenelson

he really squawks when he doesn’t get exactly what he wants though! Can’t please everyone!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Chris 45

Picked up a load of material for my own house today. She rides like a Cadillac with a little weight in her.

24EC4E2B-51F2-4AEE-92A4-88DF4C5C0339.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1