What did you do at work today (2019)?

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Mark Brown, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

So today we did the collar around the tile then cut some pre finished 1/2 in maple to it. The collar was made from 3/4 poplar that we ramped down to the wood. Laminated, sanded and scribed. Boom baby!
    20190101_124616.jpg
    20190101_142739.jpg
    20190101_125402.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

NWOW that's how it's done!!

3. Mark Brown

Thanks Barry, it is nice when my partner and myself can utilize our talents. Too often I find the humdrum of floor covering is the call we answer and not making art which is the side I love most. Start the year off right :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Looks great mark.

Details? How did you make your curve with it? Steam?

5. Mark Brown

We ripped the poplar into 3/8 strips and laminated them together. Wood bends real nice when it is thin. Headless pins, some wood glue and a whole Lotta luck later and u have a curve :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

@Mark Brown way to be creative and make it look good on the fly. Will you be leaving the accent strip raw or try and stain to match.

7. Mark Brown

We are gonna put a bit of a glow on it and gloss it up but not much of a stain. The cabinets in the walk in are natural maple, little yellow but "natural" so will do that to tie it in. To make it identical to the floor seemed more than likely impossible so then it would end up looking like a half ass stain match which it would be lol

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Steve McIntyre

Steve McIntyre Pro Member

Sounds like a blistering day to me. Am already exhausted just reading about your day. Steve

9. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

What a freaking day! Were in the middle of a snowstorm & of course the job I had scheduled is in an area that gets hit the worst.

I loaded up, put the address in my GPS & off I go with help following. Following my GPS & barely seeing the road I turn where it said & noticed the snow getting deeper, deeper, and deeper. Then I realized were not in Kansas anymore toto. The road wasn't plowed & I'm in the middle of nowhere. A back country SEASONAL road. Well, I'm already committed, let's rock! I was doing great until.......The hill. I hit the hill & was chugging through & looked in the mirror to see my guy sideways & done for. I'm not stopping until I get to the top! I get almost there to see a huge pile of snow blocking the road. Crap! I let off & I'm done too.

After an hour of rocking, digging & pushing we only were making it worse. Realizing that AAA couldn't even help me I sucked it up & called my customer. We were only about 1/2 mile from his house & the plan was to park at the end of his driveway, unload material onto his truck & him get us to his house anyway, I figured he could help with his truck.
    After seeing where I was he had to get his tractor to dig us a path out. This guy gets the customer of the year award! Got both Van's out & to his house. While unloading my help says hey tom, my tire is hissing. I watched it go flat in about 10 seconds. Being cold, wet & miserable I said let's just get in & get to work. We'll deal with it after. Spent a few hrs working & prepping for a drop tomorrow & went to deal with that mess. Found a big hole on the tread & the customer came through again with a plug kit. I plug it for him & fill it (in about 3' of snow mind you). My customer was freaking batman today!
    20190110_091801.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mark Brown

And what have we learned???
    GO HOME

**Edit** Upon further deliberation i would like to extend my appreciation for your dedication... however my previous statement stands :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

God Bless America

12. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Tom, ot sounds like you get fun snow adventures like us! Always have a set of chains on board. I took my truck all last week becaue the driveway was a long steep one down to a huge lake house.

Here’s a new vinyl from the other day, and another that will lay flat eventually

Attached Files:

13. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Man your gonna look back one day and say.

5 years from now reflect on that and let me know, cause I got words!

Is that an AWD all wheel drive van? How much extra is that. Saw one the other day.

14. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Go home? You're silly mark.

I have turned around once in my career because of weather. I live in a very seasonal area & roads like that aren't out of the ordinary.

I should have done a little more homework rather than putting the address in my GPS. That's what screwed me. Following that idiot boxes directions.

And it's not an awd van mike. Just a regular ol 2500 Chevy Express. I do run good AT tires on it though because I do work a lot off the beaten path.

What have I learned??? Put the snow shovel back in the van. Make sure to bring my carhartt. Put a come along in the van. Look at getting a winch, something removable.
    Other than that, I'm ready to go again. This is exactly the reason I preach to my missus/anyone else to keep your vehicle full on fuel in this weather. It drives me nuts when I hop in our personal vehicle to see a 1/16th of a tank.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

1/16? Regularly I see 40-50 miles left. I drive to about 3-4 miles on the digital screen but don’t like to clean bottom of tank and get it in filter.

Amazing my express 2500van got stuck in sand a few times, had the locking differential. I lock my pickup in 4 going through my yard sandpit. Can’t find good roadbase yet.

I remember a retailer laughing at me because it was raining one day and it was carpet, said I wasn’t coming in. Few more times those hurricanes were going through area and trees fall in roads that’s a few days off in a row as well. I like the determination but if something goes wrong it’s not worth the effort.

I liked my winch on the Jeep, there has to be something to pull off of though and that sometimes had me concerned.

16. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Never less than half tank in winter. Just too many bad scenarios out there

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Absolutely! With temps below 0 in my neck of the woods you dont want to be stuck with no heat. And if it's dark your going to want lights for longer than the battery can provide.

18. Ben1191

Ben1191 Pro Member

Tricky in and out attic room last weekend, 27x 16 all in 1 piece,no joins. Struggle to get up but all went well after we had caught our breath

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Sixteen-foot width carpet? :hmmm:

20. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Custom made don't you know. Just saying.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1