What could of happened here?

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Jasons, Nov 12, 2018.

Help Please!! What could happened?

1. Hardwood floor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Problems

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jasons

Jasons Pro Member

I received some pics from a client that saying this happened after cleaning his hardwood floor. I can't go take a look and only have a few information. I hope here someone can help me.

He told us 4 days after cleaning the floors were recently refinished.
    We used wood floor cleaner to clean the floors. (No damp mop)

IMG_0346.jpg IMG_0344.jpg IMG_0345.jpg

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Just venturing a guess, whatever he used to clean the floor he didn't get it all off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I does look like something on the surface that could be buffed out.

I would get more information from the client. Not enough info for a solid answer.
    I'm also just taking a swing but it almost looks like a spill that someone tried wiping up judging by the 3rd picture. The finish is even scratched up in a frantically wiping something up kind of way.

4. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

It sounds like you are the cleaners. Can you give us more info on what was used on the floor and how it was used/applied?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Is it only where the dog peed or all over? They don't look refinished to me with scratches all over. What is the hardwood, Brazilian Walnut?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jasons

Jasons Pro Member

Thank you for your reply. Yes me and my wife cleaned this residential house. We used VIM wood floor cleaner. We put 2 or 3 caps in a bucket of hot water. We vacuumed the floors first. Then we mopped the floor, going with the grain. We ring out the mop thoroughly before we used it on the floor.

After a few days later the owner texted me the pics and saying he did refinishing on the floors before we came and he says it will cost $4000 to fix the floor and I have to pay for it The total area is approx 350sqft.

7. Jasons

Jasons Pro Member

Thank you for your reply. Yes its Brazilian Hardwood floor. I don't know if the owner had dog or not the house was empty.
    It's not all over the floors only have few spots and this is the worst area at least thats what the owner said. I don't have more pics from the other areas.
    This was only coming out in two rooms, but there was an other room and the stairs and a landing with the same floor and there nothing happened with the floor.
    He also said that hardwood has been professionally cleaned for over a decade.

I also got an info saying maybe there are a lot of wax in the hardwood.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
  8. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

So, You cleaned the floor. A few days later the customer did some refinishing on the floor and now it’s your fault? What exactly did the customer do to the floor a few days after you cleaned it? I’d say the customer botched their own floor by applying a product over an improperly prepared floor.

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

What area you located? I’d ask for all documentation owner has including purchase, manufacturer installation / maintenance instructions. Cleaning maintenance records, any refinishing contractor information. It’s a prefinished floor, looks like some inconsistent heights for liquid to catch at joints. Look for an NWFA hardwood inspector. @Dan Schultz would be my guy here on TFP.

Corrective action takes place when everything is known about in place product (hardwood wax/Urethane?) then game plan. Also cleaning product you used info on that and contact that manufacturer to get their 1 cent.

FYI, Water clouds products like that whether it’s Urethane, was, epoxy, on and on.

10. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

They don't look refinished to me either. With all the scratches & uneven planks..... sounds like someone's trying to put the cleaner through the wringer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Looks to me like whatever the client applied to their floor was just mopped on and the visible residue is product buildup in the low spots. The 3rd picture tells me that they didn’t even apply whatever kind of product with the direction of the grain. I hardly see this as being anything related to what the cleaner did.