What are your thoughts on Smartstrand by Mohawk

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Audioi, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Audioi

Audioi Member

Hi all, new here!
    My wife spotted the Smartstrand by Mohawk stuff at the flooring store and wants to put it in our living room, entrance & hall. What are your thoughts? Is it a good carpet for this application? Its just the two of us and we are very tidy so no kids or pets to worry about. I have seen some negative complaints but I tend to see that with a lot of products. Should I say Yay or Nay??

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

3. Z-Carpet

Z-Carpet Pro Member

i like it, there is alot of science behind the fiber, some people will tell you they dont "trust it" in terms of matting/crushing but mohawk claims its just as strong as nylon. its definitely stain resistant, comes with a nice warranty, ive tested ketchup and wine on swatch samples and it comes right out. if your concern is stain resistant its the best, if your concern is matting or uglying out, id considered a nylon. also alot of the smart strands are SUPER silky soft

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would say that is a very honest answer. Nice job. :yesss:

:old:

Daris

5. SMS

SMS New Member

My experience with Mohawk smart strand is very bad. A ton of matting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Georgie

Georgie Pro Member

My experience with this product is poor as well. The fiber is not resilient, and will crush. Look for a nylon fiber if you plan to live in the home longer than 5 years and are putting it through those high traffic areas.

7. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I have great experience with it. I've sold miles of it and never had a claim, complaint or issue. I have it in my own bedroom and it cleans up wonderfully. I have noticed some matting that goes away with professional cleaning. I think the fine fibers stick together from oils on your feet, but a good steaming takes it right out. We have multiple small children, a dog and a cat - dog puke comes right out no problem..

My personal residential carpet sales are predominantly Karastan Smart Strand products. The warranty is solid, though I've never had to use it.

8. James Rose

James Rose Pro Member

I do both installs and cleaning. The only thing I don't like about it is if you don't use an encapsulant on any big spots/stains after cleaning they have a tendency to come back. But that's common of a lot of polyester type fibers. Other than that, you get what you pay for. Go cheap, get matting. Go reasonable and I don't see why it won't live up to the warranty.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I just replaced one last Friday that was less than 18 month's old. Looked matted and worn, discoloured and ratty.

....replaced it with the same. Let you know in another 18 months.