What are my options to fix these large gaps in Eng HWd floor?

Discussion in 'Solid and Engineered Hardwood Q&A' started by SBry76, Mar 7, 2019.

1. SBry76

SBry76 Member

We are 1st owners of our house and had the floors installed via the builder 11 yrs ago. We are on a concrete slab. Our house has central a/c and a humidifier installed. We monitor our humidifier regularly because we live in the Midwest and our weather is always going up and down. Anyway, for the last 6 yrs, maybe more, our floor has produced gaps. The flooring is glued down. The biggest gaps are in our kitchen. We have one in a small hallway and really nothing else thru the rest of the house. I can’t stand to deal with these gaps anymore or even look at them. I have the hardest time keeping the debris out them that I don’t try hard anymore. The flooring is from Mirage. We have a few extra planks that has been in our crawl space since we moved in and has never seen the light of day. I have no clue if they are still usable. I went to a Mirage dealer and was told they don’t make that size plank now/anymore. With that knowledge what do you think my options would be? We are not in a financial position where we can tear up our flooring (about 760sqft) and put something new down. Any insight would be great. Thank you. D1D10819-767D-4F66-961B-5A4DD8140B14.jpeg D688B2E3-85DE-42A8-BC1B-817B00E3502A.jpeg 718207C1-30B8-4FDB-B47C-7D72EE85438C.jpeg

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm not a wood person but are you sure that it is glued down? Looks like a pretty big gap for a glued floor. Try and bouce a golf ball or tap on it to see if it sounds hollow. My guess is it has let loose for whatever reason if glued. Might be a floating floor. Like I say I'm not a wood person persay.

:old:

Daris

3. phil verre

phil verre I Support TFP

Is that a solid 3/4" product or 9/16" engineered? Hard to tell from the picture, but i dont think i can see any trowel marks?

4. SBry76

SBry76 Member

Pretty sure it is glued down. Not hollow sounding. Already have tried using a floor gap fixer tool to try to knock into place and it doesn’t budge at all.

5. SBry76

SBry76 Member

Do you mean width size of plank? It is engineered.

6. SBry76

SBry76 Member

Please excuse the debris in the gaps. There is no easy way for me to get it clean. That crud is stuck in there for the most part.
    I’m not sure if this pic is helpful.
    2630A88C-0772-4D0B-BC18-572867292FC0.jpeg

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

He is talking thickness.

:old:

Daris

8. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Sure looks like a factory-finished solid floor from here.

Normally one would be able to see the different plies of an engineered product from the end of the board.

9. SBry76

SBry76 Member

Ok so I took a pic of the sample we were given at the design center when we picked it out. Here a pic of that. But now that I’m really looking at it, I see that it doesn’t seem to compare to what I truly have installed in terms of “layers”.

Im fearful of coming across as sounding rude, so please know I’m truly asking because I don’t know a thing about flooring but if it is real hardwood would that change your opinion on what could be done to fix the gaps?

Attached Files:

10. SBry76

SBry76 Member

7B4D7AE0-D069-4677-AAC3-5F273357607C.jpeg Ok here is one more picture. Was able to remove the floor register. Now I’m positive that the sample we received is the same as what was installed. Also I’m sure this shows that the floor was glued down due to the overflow coming down.

Hope this image helps.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Those gapped boards definitely moved as opposed to shrinking. My first thought would be to remove any baseboards or trim and use a pull bar to try and close up the gaps. A little wood glue in the groove side of the T&G would help to keep the boards together. If that doesn’t work I’d then look at replacing some boards. Smaller gaps can be filled with a burn in kit if those gaps can’t be closed up.

Look around for a qualified installer that has experience in doing board replacements. Take any attic stock that you have and put it somewhere in the room so it can acclimate. Make sure it is laying flat.

• Like Like x 2
  12. phil verre

phil verre I Support TFP

Sbry76,

Mirage makes a very nice engineered floor, not inexspensive. I am curious not only why the planks have moved, but also why the gap is so big. Usually there wouldn't be that much exspansion space left under a baseboard for that to be able to move that much? as i mentioned earlier i cant see any trowel marks in the spacing? Is it possible the installer just used liquid nail on the back of the planks rather than covering the entire floor with the proper adhesive and coverage? what is the black stuff on the concrete, is that just accumulation of debris (we all have it) or felt paper? or just real thin adhesive?

13. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

You're not being rude. Your previous photos didn't give us a proper look at the edges of the boards. We can see now that you do have an engineered hardwood with a very thick wear layer. That doesn't change the difficulty of repair though.

Now we know there was glue used, but we don't know if the proper adhesive was used, if it was applied with the appropriate size trowel notch, or if it was allowed to cure before traffic was allowed. Other things that could have contributed are non-porous protective barrier after installation (which may have prevented curing), ladders or other lateral forces that could have moved boards before curing and a host of other possibilities. There doesn't appear to be any moisture damage.

Since this installation is 11+ years old, it's too late to expect free repair or replacement. Unless you are extremely talented, your best outcome lies in the hands of an experienced professional - not just an installer, but one with experience in board replacement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SBry76

SBry76 Member

Really have no clue to how it was installed. The black stuff in between could be a combination of debris that I can’t get up and light of the photo? :)

15. SBry76

SBry76 Member

Thank you everyone who replied. It is has given me hope that we can possible fix the boards with issues versus have to tear out/replace.

My neighbors who have similar flooring that was installed by the same builder do not have this problem. I do think the difference is we are on a slab and they have basements.

I will definitely look to find a floor installer who has experience in board replacement and go from there.

Thank you again for your help!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Could be the slab shrunk where there is a control joint there.

• Like Like x 1