Wet floors under our new Porcelain Wood Plank Tile

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Antishel2004, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Antishel2004

Antishel2004 Member

Hi, I'm new to this so please forgive me if as I have no idea how all this work...
    We remolded our Houston home (built in 1968) this past year. A complete remodel, we ripped out walls, the kitchen and rebuilt all new cabinets and added new flooring throughout entryway, office, kitchen, breakfast area and living room. Open concept with beautiful large hardwood looking porcelain tile planks in January 2019. Also on the first floor next to these rooms is a master bath with porcelain tiles 12X12 and bedroom with carpet as well as a dinning room with hard wood floors.. all of these rooms are just fine. A few weeks after the install we noticed water coming up through the grout, several puddles, along with white powder and it just kept spreading. We called our floor company who really had no idea what it was or what to do. We call several concrete slab companies who told us the water table in the Houston area has been up since Hurricane Harvey and our house was built with no moister barrier. We were told that we needed gutters and to change our landscaping that there was most likely water under our house. We called plumbers and there is no leak, we have added gutters. The weather has dried up and we have been without rain for well over a month now.

Side note...Here is what I noticed when the original tile 12X12 porcelain tile floor was ripped out, mold smell, damp floors and some areas of wetness. The floor company who installed put down a leveling compound that same day over the wet floors. We did not install floors for several weeks after and I notice water coming through the gray leveling stuff they put on the floor. Our floor company put down an orange sealer (Schluter sealer) they had used in our shower install over the wet spots the day of installation. I'm sorry I do not know the names of all the products used.

Over the months we continued to watch the white powder spread until this week, June 19, when we ripped all the tile out and found a small lake under the tile, water was everywhere and had already started molding the brand new cabinets. I also cut holes in the base of the cabinets and jack hammered the existing (wet) thin set leveling material and I sealed the concrete and cleaned up the mold on cabinets and painted them with primer and high gloss trim paint. I'm sick over this...We now have concerts floors again, and no evidence of water anymore, we are running a dehumidifier and the AC is low. But no signs of water coming through. I have been told so many things, from so many different experts, and we spent thousands of dollars on the floor and to put in a new floor and have the same issue is not an option. I need help! I did have one guy who works for a floor manufacturing company tell me that its water vapor and the vapor can't escape so it turns back in to a liquid. He also talked about using an epoxy material to prep the floor. No floor company seems to understand what's happening, and the rest of the house is ok. UGH Help please. Also at this point we don't really care what we put down as long as it is not carpet, another floor company told us to use a water proof vinyl flooring man made manufactured material. At this point I'm desperate to get this floor down and get back to living.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  2. How come it’s not consistent? Other rooms. Dishwasher?

Picture of thinset removed?

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Did they take a moisture reading of your slab before they started. That could have tipped them off that there could be problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Antishel2004

Antishel2004 Member

Im not sure, some areas were more saturated than others but for the most part all the mortar was wet.

No, they really didn't need to the floor was wet when they took up the old tile. but not this wet. When they took up the tile they put down the leveling float over the wet floor.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Sounds like a lawsuit coming on.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Antishel2004

Antishel2004 Member

Honestly, I don't think they knowingly did anything malice, after talking with so many people they were just doing what is normal. The floor was wet with the old tile, so there is something happening, I just need to know how to proceed so this dose not happen again. Any suggestions?

7. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

It’s not normal to prep or install over a wet floor. If they didn’t know that???

8. Antishel2004

Antishel2004 Member

Well, they said it would be ok...Hmmmm so would you think that could have been the main cause? When we took up the old floor the floor was wet already. This tells me there was a problem no matter what...Do you know what protocol would be for a situation such as this one...pulling up an old floor see evidence of water and mildew smell, what would be the proper protocol?

9. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

When we demo a floor and find water we
    Will keep doing the demo but no new flooring goes down till we find and fix the water problem and it’s dry not just going over a wet floor that’s not a way to do it. All they did was mask a problem and now it’s going to cost more to fix this.

10. Antishel2004

Antishel2004 Member

This is the bottom floor of a two story house, concrete slab, we have no water leaks detected. All the tile has been removed we are down to the concrete slab, we have our A/C set low and a commercial dehumidifier running 24 hours a day for the last 4 days, and the concrete is very dry now, no water anywhere. We have put up gutters, we are installing drains today that lead all water to the street, and I would like to put down new floor just not sure how to processed is there a sealant that we can use? The house was built in 1969 so I am pretty sure there is no water barrier between the slab and the concrete.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

We use Koster under our floors but it’s expensive just a standard job over 500 sf run 7-10 sf labor to shorblast grind the edges and install but over the last 10 plus years not had a call back or a faulty floor

12. Antishel2004

Antishel2004 Member

So you have used this over floors with vapor or water issues?

13. What’s the humidity level in the air?

By the looks of the thinset and how they applied it kinda look hacky to me.

14. I think I would turn off the dehumidifier, raise the temp to your liking, then see if a certain area dark clouds come in like it’s gonna rain as concrete darkens when wet. Maybe easier to determine source by the dark area location.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jonathan Garcia

Jonathan Garcia Pro Member

You need to do a concrete moisture test on the slab. Like others said, seeing wet areas under the flooring is a huge warning sign,and should not continue to do the install until the problem is fixed. are there any other areas in the first floor that have flooring over concrete?

• Like Like x 1
  16. While I was meditating (watering shrubs) I come to realize, I have water behind my tile as well. In the pool, in the shower, why bust it out? Dry it! Left my dehumidifier on prior to going to work today, usually before exiting I hit the timer set at 1/2 hour. Brings the humidity to around 40%, goes up to 99% when I don’t put it on prior to shower(forget) the ceiling fan blowing circulates/distributes the air and helps it go through the dehu, so I emptied it(also has a pump) this A.M. and came back, just to see how much water was removed from mid air(miraculous) I don’t see any water in the air, well magically there was 1/2 gallon in 6 hours.

There’s a few topics of water coming up through tile here on the forum. Not one of em has supplied pictures or any data as far as humidity. So basically whatever, help who help themself the old saying goes.

My headliner in my truck is coming down, wonder how much heat and humidity is in there.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. I’ll keep talking to myself, hmm 3 gallons of water, should I dry it up or rip up a 4000$ tile job? Maybe I should dig up the rest of my yard to see if there’s buried treasure.