Well pump to genarator help

Discussion in 'Other Home Decorating & Remodeling Projects' started by epoxyman, Sep 14, 2017.

1. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Hopefully one of you guys can help me
    I got back to town late Tuesday night
    From the storm

The power company says the power will be off at least 4-6 more days
    I have a few generators for power but now I need water I'm on a well pump
    And just wondering how to hook up the generator to it.

From the house panel it's two 30 amp
    Breakers to the pump disconnect
    And that feeds wires to the pump
    Pressure switch.

So do I just wire two hots and a ground off my plug in the picture below and then feed the two hots and the ground to the pump disconnect?

I don't want to by pass the pressure switch because that will make the pump run all the time and burn up.

Here's a few pictures hopefully it will help
    Thanks for any info back

Ron

Attached Files:

2. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I'd call a electrician. Don't you know some after being in the trade that will help you out?
    One of the problems with people using generators is they don't throw the main breakers or fuses and the guy working on the pole can get knocked on his ass or makes a down wire hot.

:old:

Daris

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

My machinist found this a few years ago and put on his meter. Had to fight the electric company because of its placement behind the meter. Sweet unit, just plug your generator into it and manage how much it can run in your structures. I would call an electrician also but this could work for you easier in the future.

Transfer Switch | Global Power Products

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm not qualified to tell you.

Reason you don't go direct to pump is there may not be relief valve and lines will burst to overpressurize.

Each line is 110V, the two make it 220v, if you have 3 wires, there are two hot(110v) and the third wire is neutral/ground. The 4 wire started in 1986? Which the neutral and ground are separate wires.

Proper way is the transfer switch method. I thought I could kill main breaker and feed generator thru dryer outlet, my buddy I talked to yesterday says that could cause fire? Not sure but he has a commercial electrician friend for advice and he's cleaning carburetors(clogged with corn/ethanol)and getting generators running and hooking up some other friends and family, even pulling meters where the boxes breakers are obsolete.

Some pumps have the control boxes where the capacitors are instead of down in the well for submersible pumps. I hooked one up at a jobsite to my generator and it blew up the capacitor, so wiring is tricky, guesswork can be costly and deadly.

Prior to the control boxes I have turned pump breaker off, disconnected wires on pressure switch, put nuetral(white)ground and then two hots(black/red) from generator. You can burn them up also if your generator doesn't have the start capacity, then you need a new pump costing 1k$

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

The reason not to do this, and I speak as a guy with a transfer switch installed in his house, is because back feeding your panel with generator power ALSO back feeds the main line, difference being is when that feed runs through the step down transformer that carries the main line voltage (super high) it steps it up from 220 to whatever the step down factor is. This can kill service personnel working on repairing the main lines at worst and at best cause them a headache trying to find out where it is coming from.

Good luck with your pump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike Antonetti

With the main breaker off how does alternating current get to Service line?

7. Mark Brown

My good sir, you trust the ability of your breakers way too much. Look into it, you don't have to believe me. I didn't want to spend 500 dollars on a 200 amp transfer switch however after much research and horror stories from the interwebs I bit the bullet. Right thing to do.

8. Mike Antonetti

500 installed? Not bad. Wonder how Solar feeding back to grid works when power lines are strewn in the road, stretched by trees falling on them, poles in pieces. I trust a breaker off working on the opposite side of it, usually I check with the voltage tester. I'm at the point of getting in panel and putting pigtails on 220 breakers to run equipment, but only when I'm strongly competent in what I'm doing, probably some more training, we usually just request electrician provide us with specific outlets.

My buddy was going to get proper gloves to reinsert meter, same ones when you don't pay the electric bill!

9. Mark Brown

I have no idea how any of it works, I am not that smart!

I paid 500 for the switch, I did all the installation myself. Electrical after the main does not worry me much and in my jurisdiction in British Columbia, homeowners can make alterations after the main, of course one is expected to get a permit.... I expected to get rich one day, we don't always get what we want.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Antonetti

Ron, your pump controller (start/run capacitor) could be next to tank. You would need power to be connected to line side of controller in order for pump to operate.