Welcome to our cookbook

Discussion in 'Food for The Floor Pro' started by Barry Carlton, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Our very own Lo Down (AKA Randy) suggested this as a sort of 'recipe list' for all us cooks on TFP. It seems that he and Jim are adherents to the "A Man, A Can, and A Plan" mentality. It seems that they want to expand their horizons. Therefore I will be trying to locate recipes that have been posted in the past and moving/coping them here.

This 'sticky' is for all of us to share our recipes with each other.

The above mentioned reference is a cookbook of sorts for guys with one pot and a can opener. Amazon.com: A Man, a Can, a Plan : 50 Great Guy Meals Even You Can Make (9781579546076): David Joachim, The Editors of Men's Health: Books

We hope to have some good eats from this 'sticky' topic....and maybe our own cookbook eventually.

2. Barry Carlton

This Forum/Thread is for new recipes or cooking ideas from our members. It is meant to be for our members unique recipes. So replies should be limited to variations of the existing recipes.

New recipes should be created in their own topics or will be split into their own deserving topic by staff.

We thank Lo Down (AKA Randy) for the suggestion. And genuinely hope it benefits both him and Jim in their attempts at cooking. (Not to mention the rest of us butchers). ;)

3. Barry Carlton

Boy did this one die!!!

Let's bring it back to life.....

I grind my own pork butt (shoulder) and make my sausage with a slightly modified version of this recipe

Yield 3 1-pound portions

Ingredients

3 pounds ground pork
    3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
    1 1/4 tablespoons dried parsley
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon dried basil
    2 teaspoons paprika
    2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
    3/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
    1/4 teaspoon brown sugar (I use ground Turbinado [sugar in the raw])
    1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
    1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Directions

Place the pork and red wine vinegar in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with salt, black pepper, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, paprika, red pepper flakes, fennel seed, brown sugar, oregano, and thyme. Knead until flecks of spice are evenly distributed through the sausage.
    Divide the sausage into thirds, and form into 3 logs; wrap each in plastic wrap. Place wrapped sausage into a freezer bag before freezing, or store in refrigerator for at least 12 hours before cooking.

I have used whit wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and red wine as well. A malt or balsamic vinegar is somewhat off setting to the overall taste.

12 hours is a long time but the longer the better within reason. It is good after 5-7 hours.

Make it into patties, meatballs, roll into logs, or if you're really adventurous, put a sausage stuffer on your KitchenAide mixer and stuff casings.