Weird Stuff We've Seen On A Job

Discussion in 'Taking a Break From Flooring' started by Jim McClain, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

What kinda weird thing have you ever seen on a jobsite? I can prob'ly think of a few, but I just thought of this topic when I was posting a reply to a photography forum I belong to. So, tell us or show us whatever strange or outlandish thing you have encountered at work.

I'll start with this: Let me just say that I am not afraid of bugs... well, maybe spiders (okay, full disclosure: I run away screaming like a little girl when I see spiders)... and now that I'm getting old, mosquitos frighten me because of the killer diseases they carry... and flies because the last thing they probably landed on and wallered around in is a steaming pile of shit... Okay, BUGS! Bugs are just creepy. I'm afraid of every bug on the planet. There, satisfied?

Anyway, in my braver, more adventurous life, I came across this while working on a project in the early 0ughts. I took this picture of it, but I didn't touch it because it looked like it could kill me with that huge stinger coming out of its ass.

cricket0610-02.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Type of pine beetle I think. Scary but harmless, look different here. We have two friends in Wisconsin that have gotten biten by some bug and having health problems from it. Changing times.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I was told it's a cricket and she told me, "stop being such a sissy, they can't sting you with that thing, it's just to scare other predators away."

And I said, "you can't talk to the boss that way." :blink:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wilson0061

Wilson0061 Pro Member

We saw a bat under the baseboards once. Was a garage that was turned into a room.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Working in a Mortuary years ago, and saw a...Well, you can figure it out.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I was on a job and had the back of the truck topper door open all day. Went home at the end of the day with all the garbage bags thrown in. Had to unload them to haul carpet to that job the next day so was doing that later that evening. All of the sudden there was some hissing and noise in the truck bed and I couldn't see what it was. I think it was a cat but it got back home the next day as no sign of it in the truck after I left the back open again.

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I've worked in a few of them. One we got taken back into the embalming area and they had a body on the table workng on it. When we first started the job my helper wouldn't be left alone. When we finished he went into the room with no problems. Oh, we did all this at nights and you could hear all the equipment running, also they brought in bodies as we worked. Kind of eerie.

:old:

Daris

8. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Had a few big gators around a bait shop I did in Kissimmee

Years back was doing a new restaurant and opened up the door to the port a potty and found a dead homeless guy inside...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Knocked on a door at 9AM to start a scheduled install of 1 small bedroom, knocked a second time, waited 2-3 minutes and was ready to leave (before cell phones) when the door opens to a completely nude female homeowner! She said sorry I overslept, come on in and I will be back in a minute! She turned and walked away with the cheeks abouncin', I picked my jaw off the floor and waited till she came back and I finished the job. That was my lesson to have a helper.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

Replace bathroom 1/2 plywood, kind of punky under the existing vinyl. Start pulling it up and found it to be all tunnels from carpenter ants( I think), the toilet had a leak and with water and wood, the ants were having a ball. The homeowner grabs the vacuum and starts sucking them up. Then it stopped sucking because it was jammed up with ants and splinters of wood. He takes the hose off and puts it on the exhaust end and starts spraying ants all over the bathroom. I turned around and went outside, didn't want to laugh out load on the guy. The job didn't get done that day, he had to get an exterminator in to treat the area. I think I went back a week later and did the job.

• Funny Funny x 1