Webinar- New Locking system

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Mike Antonetti, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I was reading about the triple L locking system a while ago. Just another patented version of drop n lock? I'd like to play with it before I give it my opinion. It's a balance of product performance for the customer and ease of installation for the installer. I prefer drop n lock myself. I mean why not if it all pays the same.

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

So is this patented locking system going to be sold to manufactures or will there be a single brand with triple L. Will this possibly play out like Sawstop? The technology is out there but who will be willing to jump on board. If nobody ever loses a finger over someone's refusal to use the latest locking joint technology, then what's the incentive. What sets this apart from the other guys spiel. Because at one point in time everybody has claimed to have the best something.

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

It looks like the Armstrong drop lock system. I think laminate has run its course and the vinyl products like Coretec is taking over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

On that Nora coved rubber install I've been working on they deleted the elevator lobby and switched it to an LVT because they simply could never close down that area sufficiently to demo/Scrape-Away/prep/install and protect the flooring from wheeled traffic. The end user told me the LVT is a 1/4" thick but that's all I know. I'm working elsewhere now. I didn't ask the guy what kind of LVT system would be 1/4" thick. He probably wouldn't have know any more than the sample he was shown anyways. I recall using only one click-lock LVT system once or maybe twice. Some other guys in the shop are doing the click lock installs. Nobody likes it. I have 0% confidence that those locking mechanism will hold up in a corridor subject to normal commercial wheeled traffic. The day (night) I was installing the planks the door guy was hanging doors and assembling the locks. He rolled in on a HEAVY cart with every tool he might ever need on it--------as he normally does. I tried to fight him off but the GC took his side and told me don't worry about it---we do it all the time.
    Good luck and God Bless. That crap may be OK for homes but it's a disaster waiting to happen in commercial flooring.

6. j248

j248 I Support TFP

It all depends on who has the profile machine, and how well they have made the locking mechanism. I4F has more recently come on to the market, despite them having a patent...they are often battling unilin and Vilange over their method, but so gar they have won every time. It is a brand name the same as unilin.

This system has been used for a while though, Isocore, and depot, are getting sued even though the patent is protected in the us and canada etc...It works, it is just easy to break if you are used to an angle angle system. you can pick these up at the short ends, you fave to slide the short ends apart.

7. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Incog, I'm reading between the lines of your post a bit and assuming a healthcare setting. Floating floors should NEVER, NEVER be used in healthcare installations.

While some floating floors tout that their locking system is so tight that water will not penetrate through it, you still have to have an expansion joint or a soft joint at the wall. This gives fluids - bodily or maintenance fluids - an avenue to get under the floor. Now you have something under the floor that is an infection control issue.

I know that has nothing to do with your end of things on the installation side but I guarantee it is a problem and if someone said otherwise they're just flat wrong. If you don't believe me talk to any sharp attorney who deals with institutionally acquired infections and the lawsuits that go along with them and they will just dance with glee from the dollar signs in their eyes. Simply whisper mold or mildew and their eyes spin like slot machines in Vegas. If I get pushback on not using those products from specifiers or facilities people I just do one simple thing. I ask that we speak very quickly to the infection control person in the facility to see if they have any questions or concerns. The minute you explain the logistics to them it's game over - they will immediately put a stop to the stupidity and get people to listen because they know 100% the risk.

Just thought I share that for those in a position to head off problems like this. Despite common misconception floating floors do NOT solve all problems.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Just did a Kahrs wood floor and their butt joint is a drop now. They have a plastic lock rod in the tongue side of the joint that you pull out about 1/4", drop next board it and push the plastic piece back in to lock it in.

• Like Like x 1