Warranty and carpet estimate issues

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Chem103, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Chem103

Chem103 Active Member

I plan to put in a Shaw carpet made by Tuftex. It is made of Luxerell BCF nylon and states it is stainmaster active family carpet. I am having trouble with one dealer getting him to itemize the carpet cost separate from the pad and installation costs. I found on the Shaw website that they require the cost of the carpet to be itemized on the invoice for the warranty. However, if this is made by Tuftex and made of stainmaster nylon and sold by Shaw, does anyone know whether the warranty is through Shaw, Tuftex, or Stainmaster?? Also, is it pretty much true that any company will expect the invoice to show the carpet cost separate from pad and installation??

FInally, this dealer told me he could itemize things but it will cost more. He wants to give me a total cost for the entire project. For those of you in the business, does that sound reasonable? Am I expecting too much for everything to be itemized?

Just FYI, it has been four business days and I still do not have a written estimate from this dealer. It is a smaller, family owned company.

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

As a customer you have every right to demand an itemized bill.

Anyone who is offering a warranty has every right to demand to see and register an itemized bill as well.

Likewise, any retail business or contractor has every right NOT to present to you an itemized bill.

Depending on more specifics I would not try to judge what is "reasonable" from any one of the three various conflicted interests.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Sometimes people bury their costs - they don't like to show exact footages or price per foot because they don't want you using their estimate to shop around. You could always ask (in advance) if they'll give you an itemized bill for warranty purposes after the work is completed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

They don't know you are going to buy from them, you might just be shopping them so they do that. We have contractors that we don't estimate for as they waste our time and never buy from us.

5. Chem103

Chem103 Active Member

Well, it has now been 6 business days and still no estimate. I have been promised an estimate three times during several correspondences this week. I am pretty sure most people get at least two estimates, probably three, in order to make an informed decision. You would think they would at least try to get a job that will be nearly $10,000!

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I have passed on large jobs when the consumer was a jerk on the first meeting.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Hmm 6 places and no estimate tells me that there is more to the story here. Is it complicated? Is there alot for the salesperson to figure out? I don't know about where you are, but here it is ridiculously busy in the summer months and things don't happen at the same speed because of the work overload

8. Chem103

Chem103 Active Member

I have only asked two places to come measure and give estimates. First guy (smaller family owned place) measured last Saturday. Still nothing from him 7 days later even though he told me in two separate text messages after I contacted him during the week that he was emailing me the estimate "by the end of the day. " Second guy (larger company, not big-box store) measured and emailed estimate in less than 24 hours. Normal house with nothing complicated. Three bedrooms, den, living and dining room. About 1400 square feet. I feel like the price per square foot for the carpet from 2nd guy is fair, but not sure he measured the bedrooms accurately. My husband and I agreed totally on the den, living room and dining room measurements but there is nearly 100 square foot difference for bedroom areas. Feel like I need another "professional" to measure or maybe ask him to come back and remeasure?? 100 square feet difference works out to nearly $600.

9. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Six percent sounds suspiciously like the "waste factor" many jobs take. I often used a waste factor of 5-7%. Your carpet comes in 12' widths. You can't assume the square footage of the project floor plan will be the sames as the amount of material needed to cover it.

I added 3" to every cut and tried to limit the number of seams. Especially cross-seams, where you use a short cut and split it into several pieces seamed end-to-end to make a long skinny fill. And the waste from one room might not be quite enough to use anywhere else. You do have to trim all edges back at least an inch to make a seam. If the material has a pattern, it has to be matched, which takes even more material.

When I did estimates, I didn't break the rooms down separately, unless the customer said their budget didn't have enough to cover every room. Then I would suggest a room to leave out, or they would and I would then provide a new estimate. We don't have enough information from you to be able to determine why there is a perceived miscalculation.

10. Jeff Short

Jeff Short Veteran Flooring Retailer

When I make a quote for a customer, I always itemize. Our computer software makes it easy to create an estimate and change it if need be. However, I don't separate areas that are getting the same material. That's just extra work that is unnecessary and time consuming.

11. Chem103

Chem103 Active Member

Thanks to all who have provided advice. Decided to go with the estimate that seemed a little over, but would much rather have too much than too little. Carpet should be installed in two weeks. We are replacing, gulp, carpet that is nearly 30 years old. They made carpet to last back in the day, although we have needed to replace it about 7 years now. Kept spending our carpet money on trips and just could not get the courage needed to have to empty all the rooms! Know this will be a pain, but it has to be done. We ended up going with Shaw's Tuftex which is a stainmaster active family carpet in a dark beige/light brown color textured carpet in Luxerell 6.6 nylon. Low pile and good density. Biggest pain now is finding a vacuum cleaner that will work.

• Like Like x 1