Warehouse

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by Msirgey, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Msirgey

Msirgey New Member

I am in the process of buying a Building that will have about a 2,000sft warehouse. I am looking for low cost options on a flooring for the area. It is currentmy a mix of carpet, exposed subfloor, and tile. I would like to find something to give it a uniform look that will protect the subfloor from the weather.

Thank you,

2. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

That's kind of a tricky application.

Several things we need to know before we can make a recommendation.
    1. How old is the building?
    2. What was the original purpose of the building? - Was it originally a warehouse or was it something else?
    3. What will you be doing in that space? (i.e. forklifts, pallet jacks, foot traffic, etc.)
    4. Are there any known slab moisture issues currently?
    5. Is the space temperature & humidity controlled? (You mentioned exposure to the weather)
    6. What kind of budget do you have to work with?

• Like Like x 3
  3. DLong

DLong Pro Member

You have a few options, do you mind using adhesive on the floor? If not LVT or LVP woukld work as good options. [Admin: NO SOLICITING ALLOWED!]
    Its durable and looks a hell of a lot better than VCT.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2017
  4. Commercial Floor Rep

Dwayne,

Just curious what you're basing that on without knowing what the jobsite conditions are or what they are using this space for?

If that slab is hot with a moisture issue then LVT or LVP isn't going to be a "good" option unless they are prepared to spend a whole bunch of money abating the slab. If they are using the space as a warehouse then floating LVT or LVP is also not going to be a viable flooring because of the potential for rolling loads. The OP also mentions protecting the subfloor from exposure to weather. If that space isn't temperature controlled then you can't put a resilient floor in that space either which would rule out LVT or LVP.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DLong

DLong Pro Member

I don't know everything. Or even claim to. I was just trying to give the guy some ideas. But I keep having people put everything under a microscope.
    I don't know the exact conditions. But he didn't mention anything about moisture. So why would I think it? Said there is various types of flooring in there now. Carpet being one most likely it's glued. And it's 2000 SqFt, so a floating floor in areas isn't out of the question.
    Not like they will be rolling pallets through there office. So why would it be so far fetched for me to say what I did? Do you not have anything better to do than pick apart what people say? It wasn't me who pissed in your Cheerios, so don't try to in mine.
    Maybe I'm out of line and if I am I apologize now.

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

You haven't been around TFP long, so you couldn't know that Commercial Floor Rep is a detail oriented kinda guy and has never pissed in any member's Cherrios. If anything, he has taught many of us, including some of us oldtimers, to be a little bit more detail oriented in order to be better at our jobs.

The original poster said he was buying a building and in that building, he wants to have 2,000 sf of warehouse. It seemed pretty clear that he meant warehouse and that other parts of the building would be offices and such. He was only asking about the warehouse part. Although he didn't indicate what kind of stuff he would be warehousing, he did mention he needed material that would protect the subfloor from weather. Sounds like that could include rain, at the very least, widely fluctuating temperatures and humidity. And CFR asked a list of important questions necessary to determine just what flooring products would be suitable.

You suggested products that aren't very often used in warehouse flooring. Not only that, you tried to turn it into a sale for your business. What if CFR wanted to make a sale here on this and many of his other nearly 800 posts on this site. What if the other 3,000+ pros on TFP wanted to make a sale every chance they could by posting replies to our consumer members? If I was foolish enough to allow that and this particular time, the consumer in this topic bought from you because you offered a cheap price (that's what you did, but I edited your sale offer out of your post) and something went horribly wrong with a flooring that wasn't suitable for its intended purpose... Whose good name is gonna turn to shit wherever that guy goes on the Interweb? You think he might mention he bought that problem from someone on The Floor Pro Community?

Now, THAT'S pissin' in your Cheerios. Slow down here. Pay attention to the details. If you don't have them, ask for them. Then when someone asks where they can buy such and such, or asks you specifically if you can help them with a product or service, then you can try to make the sale... by directing them to your website where you can carry on helping your customer. And we all hope you will get all the important details before you finalize the sale.

My greatest hope for every flooring professional that joins here, comes to help other pros become better at what they do, learns how to improve their own understanding and skill levels and helps consumers make good decisions. I don't want them to only see TFP as an opportunity to make a sale. However, I can't help but feel that many of our active members have achieved a benefit from their participation here that equates to more job satisfaction and better profits. We are hoping to be your Community, not your competition, while you spend time here.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Commercial Floor Rep

Gosh, I sure didn't mean to upset anybody. I do apologize for how I came across. After reading my own response I probably should have phrased it a bit differently so it didn't come across as so "poking-you-in-the-chest". I too do not know everything nor would I ever profess to. If you read my posts you'll find that to be very true. And when I'm corrected or caught in error, I try and be the first one to acknowledge my mistake and thank those who've steered me back toward the correct answer, you'll also see that in my posts and threads.

I have gained a lot of knowledge from members of this site, and in my professional career through tons of hours of training and real world experience. I've been fortunate to be the recipient of some really great mentoring from some really knowledgeable people. A couple of whom I've lost in the last few years. My goal here on this site is simple: to return the knowledge that has been given to me freely to try and repay those who were so kind in teaching it to me when I started into this industry in some small way. I also have a selfish personal reason to come here and try and help others; it's my escape. Somewhere to come and relax an enjoy the comradery that I think is one of the hallmarks of our industry. So, the last thing I would want to do is create strife and tension for anyone here including me. :)

Dwayne, the last thing I would want to do is drive off or upset a new member here. I wouldn't want anyone here to feel awkward about a post. It takes a bit of guts to post answers that so many people can see, especially when many of those people are your peers and you stand a good chance of criticism. We only benefit as a community though when we grow and learn from one another.

Jim's created a space here that's much different from the typical consumer help site because he reinforces and monitors the soundness of the information we try and give back to those who come here for an answer. In my opinion his "tough love" philosophy of running this site is why it truly is the best flooring site that exists. With a little reading on other sites that profess to be flooring resources you'll find that there's no oversight and as a result there is some really bad information floating around out there that makes us all look bad and costs people real money.
    I hope you take this as intended and I hope you stick around and become a regular poster. We need everybody and everybody's opinion matters.

And oh by the way...you've already taught me something...to make sure I reread my posts before I hit the "Post Reply" button to make sure that my tone isn't going to come across poorly.;)

P.S. Jim, thank you for the kind words and know that you made me smile!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1