Wanting to lay Shaw's Floorte LVP

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by felix_s, Feb 12, 2020.

1. felix_s

felix_s New Member

Good Day,
    I am hopefull of receiving sound advice from this community. In brief, I am begininng a basement renovation that will involve new flooring. I am interested in installing Shaw's Floorte 'luxury vinyl plank' (Uptown Now WPC - Hamilton).

The basement is below grade and with a concrete substrate slab. Part of the concrete slab is (approximately 240 sq ft) covered with 9"X9" vinyl glue-down tiles, likely installed in the 1960s by the original owner. The mastic is black in colour. I have no manufacturers information regarding the tile or mastic but I strongly suspect it includes asbestos. The tiles are in relatively good shape (i.e., are secure to the concrete) and have been covered by broadloom as well as floating, engineered wood for the last 10 years. The basement is relatively dry with no moisture issues evident.

If possible I would like to avoid the need to remove the vinyl tiles via a licensed abatement contractor and leave the tiles in intact 'under' the new floor. I have contacted city officials and they have confirmed this would be incompliance with municipal and provincial regulations.

The basement renovation will involve approximately 700 sq ft.. The floor will need to be levelled in areas.

Assuming I leave the original vinyl tiles intact/undistrubed:
    - can I use a self-levelling compound over the existing vinyl tile? (Tech Support at Ardex have told me they have no product that will encapsulate the vinyl tile.) Will bonding of the SLC be an issue? Ideas on mitigating this issue?;
    - should I simply use a product such as DRICore (floating) and install the vinyl planks over top?

Other ideas/approaches most welcome. Thank you in advance and please accept my 'long-winded' e-mail.

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

It's a forum message, not an email. ;) You might want to take a look at this topic: Encapsulating VAT in preparation for new floor Except for the subfloor type difference, it has nearly the same information you asked about.

3. felix_s

felix_s New Member

Thank you, Jim. (Yes, you're right - it's a forum message to be precise...again, much appreciated.)

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Why the slc? Just float that over your tiles. Just patch where you need to flatten the floor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Self leveling is rarely needed. A pro with a trowel and a sufficient supply of floor patch can usually take care of most floors except the most extremely.