Wanted: Old School Tools

Discussion in 'Buy & Sell Flooring Tools and Equipment' started by bigblockcarl, Jun 1, 2015.

1. bigblockcarl

bigblockcarl Pro Member

Hello gentlemen,

I am looking for older installation tools. Primarily resilient tools that are pre-1970.

If you have any that you would like to sell or trade, please let me know.

Thank you and have a great day.

Carl Bredl
    Crain Cutter Co., Inc.
    650-477-6687 (cell)
    carl@craintools.com

2. Steve Forbo

Steve Forbo Pro Member

What are you looking to do? Buy them?
    A bunch of us have a ton of old tools, but you will have to pry them from our dead hands...LOL
    We are always on the lookout for old Wilkee, Congoleum, Armstrong, Airway etc... I know my 3 favorites are my dads Armstrond Dividers, my Wilkee Double Hinge Scriber, and my old Roberts recessed scribe.
    I have a design that I'm also finalizing prior to patent, maybe we can talk when the legal mumbo jumbo is complete...
    Steve

3. bigblockcarl

bigblockcarl Pro Member

I appreciate the quick reply Steve. I was wondering if it would be difficult to acquire a few of the older tools when I have such stiff competition amongst my peers, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

That's cool that you're 2nd generation. I'm sure your pops has some great stories.

I already have some old stuff. I like the unusual ones that are hard to find.

I might have to just continue with my old ways of going on Ebay or scrounging through antique shops and flea markets...

As far as an tool ideas go. It is our policy to have any ideas go through Lance Crain directly. He has certain procedures in place that would protect both you and Crain. if you would like his information, just PM me.

Thanks again and have a great day.

C

4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Daris has a large collection, we probably could have him bumped off and then acquire his!!

Incognito also has doubles of most everything!

5. bigblockcarl

bigblockcarl Pro Member

Thanks for the info Elmer. We'll have to keep an eye out for them Scwewy waskals!

Sounds like Incognito is planning on building an Ark....

Have a nice evening.

C

6. I wondered what the name Crain meant. I don't wonder what Gundlach, or Goldblatt, or many others.

I'd like some background on Crain, maybe a write up for TheFloorPro, I use to like Roberts until they sold to QEP, maybe an injection into flooring Supply companies letting Installers know your company wants to be the "go to" tool company for installers. Quality is my priority, I want to know when I pick up that tool, I already know what it will do,again and again. I use many tools, and sometimes I don't know what brand it is, my mind will say, this tool is serving me well, who makes it so when it wears out I know which one I will buy.

Elmer, maybe Incogs wife thinks he has doubles, I know better, he's got 5-10 of many things. What's the fascination of these vinyl tools? I couldn't hold on to my vinyl records, I got tired of seeing them and moving them.

7. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

My old tools are all carpet tools ,probably about 150 of them, some back to the 1850's.
    Not interested in selling at the moment, just adding to. But I do have some doubles.
    Oh and I have the patents for over 500 of them so I guess I got a ways to go.

:old:

Daris

8. Elmer Fudd

Good idea Mike, Carl maybe you can give us a little inside on Crain Cutter Co.

I hate cheap tools, especially plastic handles on screwdrivers, awls, scrapers, etc.

9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

It's hard to pass up some of the deals I jump on at Ebay. The last one I got was a "Cathcard Scriber" for under $5. It's a hinge scriber

Vintage Cathcard Scriber A 2661 by A J Mfg Co | eBay

I have a few of these in much better condition so I think I'll abuse the "patina" off this one an go ahead and give it an actual try out.

Sometimes I do go crazy and overpay. Here's another pretty good deal I got earlier this year for $55
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WIL...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I was really pleased with this find:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Armstrongs-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

10. bigblockcarl

bigblockcarl Pro Member

Old School Tools cont.

Incognito, that's some pretty cool stuff. You got some good deals. Hopefully you have a cool place to display all of that stuff, rather than having them sit in a bottom of a drawer or tool box somewhere. I love the patina. As far as your old vinyl records go...

[ame]https://youtu.be/B2T0G4Su5w8[/ame]

And they're from Amsterdam, so I'll let you take it from there...

Mike, Elmer, Daris and Steve. I would have to say that I would love to share some of the Crain story. Because it is a great one. However the Crain family is very private and out of respect, I would honor that.

I will mention that most of you may remember the catalog a couple of years back with the old sedan delivery trucks in front of the store. Well that was Lance's grandfather's store (which I believe went back to the 1920's - don't quote me on that) which was located in downtown San Jose, CA. Nearly a century before what is now Silicon Valley.

I am both very proud and blessed to work for Crain. Really, who wouldn't want to talk about tools all day? Mike Drinkard, my predecessor, had been a great resource to me for almost 30 years. I was honored to be his replacement. (Thanks Mike!) I can only hope to be the same resource to others.

It's been a pretty good trade to me. I've done a lot of cool things and met a lot of great people along the way. I constantly learn new things and enjoy sharing the knowledge and skills.

Just trying to make the world a better place. One floor at a time....

Have a great evening.

C

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  11. Elmer Fudd

For Bigblockcarl, you do know that the acronym would be BBC.

Also that there is NO replacement for cubic displacement!!

My brothers and I used to run big block fords known as MEL (MercEdselLincoln) up to 430 cubes. Low revving stump pullers!!!

12. bigblockcarl

bigblockcarl Pro Member

So you picked up on my double entendre. And yes, there's no substitute for cubic inches. I'm a third generation mechanic. I'm Carl the 3rd, so I have calendars from 1935 with my name on it. Pretty cool. My dad and grandfather were Ford and Mopar guys. In fact, I have correspondence to my grandfather from Henry Ford himself. But as I got into cars and loved the 'push you into the seat' big block torque, I quickly realized how hard it was to work on the BB Mopars and Fords (torsion bars vs. shock towers). Not to mention the scarcity and cost of the rare parts. (hemi mopars and fords, tunnelports, sideoilers etc.) So I took the least path of resistance. My first car was a 1967 SS Chevelle. 396, 4 speed. It had the old 60's style 4" lift spindles. Which with the speed I would drive that thing, it wouldn't handle for squat. So I lowered back down to stock height, put on front disc brakes and stuffed in a 450HP 427 and a built Turbo 400. It was a daily driver and ran 12:50's all day long. Wish I never sold that car.

My wife's cousin ran B Gas dragster back in the late 50's. He ran along with Big Daddy (A Gas) and other legends. He broke the record and won a 'Wally" in October 1959. He was killed in November 1959 when the dragster disintegrated at 160 MPH. Yeiji Toyota was his name. Must have been pretty rare to have a Japanese drag racer back in them days...

I have attached some pics of a couple of buddies cars that I help with.

I also have a buddy that races a nice Thunderbolt recreation that I'll have to send you a couple of pics of.

I know that a lot of guys in the trade are car guys. Its always fun bench racing with them.

Thanks for your post.

Have a great day.

C

Attached Files:

13. bigblockcarl

bigblockcarl Pro Member

Hey Incognito,

What year is that Armstrong Cutter from?

I wonder if that came before or after the Universal Bar Scribe kit.

Just curious.

Thanks,

C

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  14. Incognito

I recall reading somewhere that the Custom Cutter was the earlier version and the instruction inside the case have a copyright date of 1936. I have the 1939 Manual for Linoleum Mechanics and it's showing the Universal Scriber Kit. I'm a little confused by that though because I see the U.S. patent was dated 1938.

Patent US2274727 - Scribing and cutting device - Google Patents

Attached Files:

15. bigblockcarl

bigblockcarl Pro Member

Yeah, I would have guessed it being earlier too. Because the literature has more of an Art Deco flair to it. I do have a couple of the Universal Bar Scribe kits. An earlier version which a couple of the blocks and cutter attachment are brass, and a late 60's model that came straight from Bill Clarks collection. I was a distributor trainer for Armstrong for a couple of years and one of my buddies hooked me up. Thanks for looking into that for me. Nice share.

C

16. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Patents aren't given as soon as you apply for them. It may have taken them that long to get the patent after the copyright was done.

:old:

Daris

17. Incognito

Right, that's what I was thinking. They can develop the tools, manufacture the tools, even distribute the tools and include the tools in their trainings and manuals whilst the patent is pending. I don't have earlier Handbook for Linoleum Mechanics that show the Custom Cutter but what I read somewhere was that a lot of the "tricks" demonstrated in later manuals could also be done with the older version.

18. Incognito

Check out this old thread Carl. I REALLY want the tool in the third photo from the first post on this thread. I think I know who created/patented the tool but as far as the manufacturer or distribution I don't think it was ever in mass production. That HAS to be a prototype.

https://thefloorpro.com/community/tools-equipment-and-supplies/10750-unique-under-scribes.html

You want to hear a good story ask me some day about the protoTAPE.

That's my all time favorite floorcovering war story.

"One for the Angels"

19. bigblockcarl

bigblockcarl Pro Member

You're both right Daris and Incognito. I have a patent and a continuance. The patent process starts once you file. Then you have a year from the date of filing to make any improvements on that patent. After that, the USPTO has its own examiners and the rest of the process takes about another year or so. The time depends on their backlog. I believe that my continuance took less time to receive than the original patent.

Copyrights, which are given to written works or music etc. also go through the USPTO. I don't know much more than that, mainly because I don't have any.

C

20. bigblockcarl

bigblockcarl Pro Member

Incognito,

Wow, those are pretty cool. I have never seen any of those. If I run across one, I'll let you know. With a name like 'Master Scriber' you would think that Steve Forbo would have one with all of the other 'Master' Mechanic stuff.

That was awesome. Thanks for that.

C