Want to move to Montana?

Discussion in 'a Floor Pro Looking For Work' started by SteveG, Sep 26, 2017.

1. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

We're in need of installers pretty much constantly. Not from turnover, just business has been growing and our list of trusted installers is pretty short. Pay is fair, work is steady, but we need people who take pride in their work. We are booked with commercial work through the new year and the residential stuff will have to fit in there somewhere.

I dunno, I figured I'd throw it out there.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Cell phone shot - you could live here and install flooring. ;) IMG_20150629.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

It's absolutely beautiful there. The wife n I went to Yellowstone last year and extended our vacation to spend a few extra days in Montana. We actually looked at houses there, too, since we can both get a job anywhere.

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

What about February?

5. Chris 45

That's why we aren't there.;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Chicken!!!! A little snow never hurt anyone.

:old:

Daris

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Actually we're pretty mild up here compared to places like north dakota and minnesota. Not LA mild,of course, but our summers won't fry you like an egg either

8. kylenelson

Steve is right though, if you are half decent you are busy up here right now. Wages are pretty decent too compared to rates in other places

9. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

When our state isn't frozen over or on fire... it's rather nice.

10. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

If you can set tile you can name your own price. Literally. They're worth their weight in gold, and there's never enough of them to go around.

11. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Montana here I come! !

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Chris 45

If I was still trying to kill it, I would totally do Montana. Luckily for me I'm winding down. 30 hours a week or less is fine with me these days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I don't believe the best quality tile/marble/stone setters lack for work in any of the major markets in the country. So sure, they can make big bucks in a growing rural area but I don't think it's comparable to the kind of volume they can rack up down here. By that I mean here they will be running crews of as many guys as they can manage------residential, hotels, restaurants, institutional.

Tile and wood has always paid better and been steadier for the best crews than carpet/vinyl. It's much harder work than most resilient and much more technical/complicated than carpet. So wages/rates reflect that and the knuckleheads get flushed out much quicker when they cause very expensive failures.

14. kylenelson

You're absolutely right. Very few guys that are truly good tile setters, and the ones that are good are doing quite well. I cant see why you wouldn't be netting close to $100k a year right now as a tile guy

15. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

The good thing about Montana is it's cheaper to live and more laid back than most places. Rush hour is not talked about much and when you go fishing you're not elbow to elbow with other fisherman. Less rules and less taxes and fees. We did have a bad smokey summer and the winters are sometimes tough but I cought a ton of fish this summer and took my kids camping for free which is nice. I know that the store I work through needs installers but there just is nobody qualified.

16. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Cheaper to live? Have you checked out rentals? Land prices? Its not that cheap.

17. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I hear a lot of Californians are moving there.

18. JonH

JonH TFP Sponsor

Montana is about average nationally, I thought MT was cheaper as far as realestate. Maybe I need to move!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Up here,Mike, we have had a lot of Canadians buying stuff up. Summers are busy with tourists from everywhere. Glacier Park has been setting attendance records the last couple years.

• Like Like x 1