Wall-to-Wall Carpet Doesn't Always Add Value To a Home

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Jim McClain, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Spring is coming, which means home improvement projects are getting planned right now. Whether the projects are for personal aesthetics or to prepare for the coming sale of your home, it's important to understand which renovations or repairs will add value to your home.

It might be a good idea to research the comparables for your neighborhood. Extravagant landscaping, adding luxury to an on-suite bath or expanding the garage might not be wise choices if your home will be the only one with these characteristics. The Floor Pro Community is all about the floors, but wall-to-wall carpeting may not be your best choice for next Spring's list of projects either.

[excerpt=Fred Fletcher, Yahoo Contributor]
    You might be better off restoring a home's wooden flooring. It is easier to cover a wooden floor than it is to rip out carpet. Either way, you can be sure that the new owner will make changes, regardless of what you do. For that reason, you are better off leaving what you have as it is. If you have carpet, let professionals give it a good, strong cleaning, making sure to treat any noticeable stains. If you have wood flooring, sand them down and give them a shiny coat.
    [/excerpt]

The above excerpt is from an article, "First Person: 10 Home Renovations That Don't Necessarily Add Value" by Yahoo contributor, Fred Fletcher. He's not a flooring professional though, so you may find different opinions here at TFP. Value is subjective. Who can say what your future buyers may want in a home? Who can say how your tastes and priorities will change over time? Ultimately, the choices are yours to make.

If you found yourself here because you're thinking about flooring, you're in the best place. Register a free account and ask our pros about your flooring projects, problems or caring for the floors you have. If you are a pro, join us in helping each other and in providing the best information and resources to consumers and do-it-yourselfers.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With Elbows Senior Member Published

My experience is that homes with brand new construction grade carpet will sell before homes with old, worn,and/or stained carpet . people lack the vision to see potential. My house was on the market for two years. The carpet was professionaly installed by a master craftsman(me) 12 years prior. That carpeting was used carpet that my friends' father bought, or scrounged somewhere. He still has the coins the tooth fearie left him, a cheaper man never walked the earth! My point is, seeing is believing.

3. rusty baker

rusty baker Well-Known Member

Several real estate agents have told me that putting new carpet in a home for sale is a money losing proposition. They say you will not be able to raise the home value enough to pay for the carpet. The agents also say that if you must do something, offer a flooring allowance, that the odds are, the prospective new owners will not like what you had installed and will replace it anyway. You can usually get by with a flooring allowance that is less than what installing new carpet would cost.

4. Nate Hall

Now I'm not arguing the cost factor, but I know of some situations personaly that differ on the speed of sale portion of home sales. A home with spiffy new looking(and smelling) carpet will sell faster than a home with dingy stinking carpet in it. Regardless of the size of the carpet allowance.
    When my mother was selling her house,the agent often would bring people to show the house around dinner time. To take full advantage of the odor of my moms' great cooking smells. Otherwise they would suggest running a bar of soap under hot water in the sinks to give a pleasent odor to the house. Not to make more money, but to sell quikly.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  5. ortiz34

ortiz34 2nd generation Senior Member

I saw this on yahoo
    Just what us carpet guys need :(

6. ortiz34

american consumers for houses =hardwood/granite/stainless steel

When will THIS trend tail off?

7. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

while you may not add value to a home, it will often help the home sell quicke. If you're replacing green shag from the seventies with an inexpensive frieze that looks decent then I think it will help you more than hurt you in the long run.

8. ortiz34

No question, if you read the comment section below most people are saying the same thing and whoever wrote the article is not that bright, and some of the things he/she states are so obvious. Should be titled "idiots guide to selling a house..written by an idiot"

9. Nate Hall

I was at that house! It was blue shag that we ripped out and replced with a low-grade frieze. The owner got tired of showing the house with a $2500.00 carpet allowence, and no buyers. So he spent $1500.00 and he sold the house to the next person to see it! I would call that value. :yesss:

10. ortiz34

egggsactly..not a fan of what was written

11. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

When I sold my previous house the realitor told us to make it look clean. Everything painted white and new Cheap Light colored carpet through out. Put the house on the market at 5 pm on a Thursday and at 10 am on the next day it was sold. First person to look at it bought it. :yesss:

Only problem was I got it back a year later. He didn't like paying.

Daris

12. ortiz34

Just another example of cleaning up and replacing worn out carpet doesn't help you sell
    NOT

You bought your old house back?

13. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Foreclosed on the dude. It was a land contract. Almost got it back the second time it was on a 18 month ballon payment. But he came through.

If i'm looking at a house I want it to look clean, not something that should be in a slum.

Daris

14. Nate Hall

If I'm looking for a house I look for a sows ear so I can sell later as a silk purse. :yesss:

15. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

The point to note for an investor or a home owner is that carpet in most examples will need to be replaced in order to sell the home. The exceptions would be on the very high end. I've already told the story of my grandmothers carpet that was 27 years old. She was considering replacing it. All it needed was new pad and a restretch and it was good as new.

If you buy top of the line and vacuum 2-3 times a day and never have pets, smokers or any other sloppy, abusive traffic that stuff can last multiple lifetimes.

I think the Yahoo article is aimed at yahoos who put cheap crapet in their houses as if it's a good investment.

16. Rich J

Rich J Pro Member

I do alot of work for a guy who's wife is a realtor. He puts base grade poly over old pad and the house sells quick every time. I can't believe we install sub fha poly in over old pad in $700,000 houses. It seems like a crime to me, but it sells houses, cause they put new in anyway

17. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

I completely agree that putting in new carpet, even a lower-grade, freshens up a home and helps it sell quicker. Whether to just change the color or style away from something outdated, or to get rid of used, stained rug. I once had a pretty nice rental, put it up for sale, spent $1,600 total for a nice-looking but base carpet and get $5,000 more than what I expected.

Just saw a couple replace their high-end burgandy with a low-end beige after having the house on the market forever and sell it right away. Home buyers these days are from the era of immediate gratification for the most part, and don't want to think about having to do anything besides move in. Realtors are learning that budget allowances for things don't always work, since most people can't see past what is already there.

Tia

18. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

I did a restretch for an older couple this week in the dining/family room of their home. They have the house on the market now for 90 days. A lot of lookers they said, but no buyers. He showed me the house, nice rancher, basement could also be lived in as their was a kitchen and bathroom downstairs. The problem was the living room carpet was a bright red shag installed in 1962. Who in the world wants to buy a house with 49 year old red shag carpet?
    I would be willing to bet if they replaced that carpet with something cheap and neutral, it would sell. Just my opinion.

19. FlooringGirl

FlooringGirl Senior Member

Absolutely! When the potentials leave the house, that ghastly carpet is probably all they can think about!

Tia

20. polestretch

polestretch Senior Member

When I walked in, I zoomed in on the red shag before looking for the wrinkles in the area I was restretching. The wrinkles were under my feet!:eek: