1. Tom Hubertus

Tom Hubertus Pro Member

We are getting more and more requests for wall base like Johnsonite Millworks.
    What is the going rate to install this. More complicated than cove base.

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I don’t like to charge people the ‘going rate’ so much as I charge them MY rate. What if you’re in an area that has a surplus of cheap labor? Charging the going rate will put you in the poor house. Carpet is a perfect example: what is the going rate for plush on wood? For some people the going rate is the same today as it was when I started in the 90’s.

Do you have the D-cut cutter? That thing will definitely speed up your production and help you to make a profit while being closer to the ‘going rate’. Otherwise you’re gonna need a miter saw for the outside corners. At that point you might as well charge the same as doing wood base.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tom Hubertus

Tom Hubertus Pro Member

I would agree that this is more like wood base. We usually charge around $2.50-$3.00 per lf for that. $2.00 for regular cove base.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

If you’re at $2 for regular cove base I would think $3 for contoured base would be a decent price.

5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Last time I did mill work base with a profile it was 3.50 a foot and i supplied materials.

6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Its at least twice as "hard" as cove base. Your cove base price sounds CRAZY high to me. But besides regional market price the type of jobs you're doing is obviously different. Union journeyman will average 600-800 linear feet a day on new, big scale construction.

200/300 feet a day is roundabout what we do with Millwork. Try dragging those 10' cartons up 3-4 flights of stairs when rhe elevator isnt running yet. Did about 5 miles in the last couple/3 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. I agree think retailer pays .25 cent a Ft vinyl, rare we did faux wood base.

8. Incognito

IMG_4247.JPG IMG_4248.JPG IMG_4249.JPG IMG_4250.JPG IMG_4251.JPG IMG_4254.JPG IMG_4255.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mark Brown

Coped, Ewwww.

Long live the miter!

10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Double faced tape is great.

11. Mark Brown

I use it for EVERYTHING!

12. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

$2 a foor for rubber base? Sign me up for that gravy train.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mark Brown

If i supply adhesive in lucky when i can sell it for 1.50 usually 1.25, no adhesive i shoot for a dollar and usually land at 85 cents

14. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

We’re at 1.10 ft install with customer buying adhesive. I’ll go lower on commercial work but not much because you’re usually dealing with worse walls and sloppy corners

15. Mark Brown

Riddle me this, if a taper tapes a wall.... and the bloody spec says RUBBER WALL BASE then why in the hell is it OK to completely crap all over me and leave mountains, mole hills, missiles, boogers and the like all on the bottom conveniently 4 or so inches. Its like you damn well know where the base stops and you will get holy hell from the painter, but god forbid you thought about the flooring guy for two seconds or more. Not to mention drywall board that hangs 2+ inches off the floor and then 2 weeks after turn over the base is all kicked in and i have to go back... i have literally started telling people "Its wall base, you don't have a wall. If you did it wouldn't look like that" I refuse to fix it, I am not filling drywall scraps or plywood or foam or anything. Bare in mind, this is on new construction and ill do just about anything for retail clients, but come on, no one noticed this mess until after the base went UP? I don't even know why in the hell I am installing wall base. What part of Resilient FLOOR COVERING installer all of a sudden became the wall base guy. I say we all collectively pass the buck on this one and make the painters do it, or the finish carpenter or bloody squeegee kids for all I care. ANYONE OTHER THAN ME!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. dontoronto

dontoronto Earn as Apprentice;WORK like a Mechanic+Apprentice

Nice! Never tried the contact tape!

Used the D cutter but still GAP GAP GAP the inside corner!

Any suggestion other than Colour RITE the adhesive caulk? Thanks

17. Mark Brown

Like any base, it requires a keen knowledge of angle relation. We all know an inside corner is not a 90° true nor an outside. Start there, adjust as required. This is where coped base is beneficial because the lay in piece gets fit to a flat in, but personally I'm a find the angle kinda guy. Like anything that requires precision practice is key.

18. Incognito

Coping isn't difficult or time consuming. In fact go ahead and use the D-Cutter to get the majority of the material out of the way. Then your dividers find the correct angle. The D-Cutter already gave you the profile. Mostly you're just shaving a deep bevel with the utility knife and using compression. No way around the caulk when it's not black or brown base in friendly lighting conditions.

19. Incognito

Taper gets away with what he can, when he can and NOBODY has the time, energy, competence and motivation to go to battle over that 4" of sloppy prep work on OUR walls.

Hey, they ALL shit all over the floors and we can't win that one half the time. Alot of times I make a big F'n deal over change orders (extra) on patching and skimcoating just because of the layer upon layer of filith and smegma the GC allows. So let him pay $100 an hour for a journeyman to scrape, chisel, grind, sand, sweep and vacuum. Might as well take care of the walls. We just suck it up/roll it into the overall prep assessment, change order or no. When you prep you ought to be razor scraping the drywall clean for base 100%. I'm as pissed off as you are but fact it's considered a part of BOTH floor prep and finish/trim/base work and really needs to be figured accordingly in the price.

$2 a foot maybe isn't so crazy, huh?

Bet he takes care of any and all BS with a smile on his face with that money in his pocket.

• Agree Agree x 3