Vinyl Planks Herringbone

Discussion in 'Vinyl & Rubber Flooring Sales and Installations' started by Jon Scanlan, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

How much longer does anyone think it takes to lay vinyl planks with a herringbone pattern on the 45 cutting them into skirting boards neatly, no gap, as compared to normal straight cutting into skirting boards. Twice, three times longer?

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

At least 2-3 times longer..............more if there were multiple, very cut up, smaller sized rooms as opposed to a single larger room with 4 walls and one doorway. "Tight fitting" vinyl planks is tricky and time consuming into irregular shaped obstructions that can't be undercut.

The working time on the adhesive would make a big difference. The Tandus/Centiva planks I've been laying only allow for 45 minutes max. When we can't get it all laid, cut and rolled in that time frame the adhesive has to be scraped up. On the diagonal wall areas we had to spread very small sections, especially where there were metal door frames and flush/net cuts to existing resilient tiles under the door.

3. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Jon,

Something I just recently learned that I thought might help. Depending on the manufacturing method, you may need to let your supplier know you're intending to do a herringbone pattern when you order the material. Some vendors have special equipment that they will run that product on to insure you don't have an issue with the length of the planks.

I had no idea that this was even a "thing" until I recently had a claim with a herringbone layout.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Not to sidetrack this, but, are you using that roll on, primer/adhesive with the Tandus Centiva?

5. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

after doing a basket weave pattern in September, I quickly realizes how incredibly varied the lengths are, some up to an 1/8”. That’s some good info. I was supposed to do a herringbone pattern on the same job but the old geezer decided to nex it

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

No, never heard of it. This job was all typical 50-75 year old concrete that was abated for asbestos and then suffered 4-6 months of construction overtop. So it was all HEAVILY sanded and 2-coats of Feather Finish.

The slab is actually NICE-------but they've slathered 10K tons of smegma across it, smeared it in reall good and let it set up for weeks and months. Caulk, paint, drywall mud are the main components of the smegma but for 100% sure anything and everything a greasy, filthy, dirtbag construction worker could slop onto the substrate is there.........in spades.

I read the instructions that were available on site and there was no mention of the primer.

7. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

• Like Like x 2
  8. Graeme

Graeme Pro Member

I would say 2-3 times longer as well. I have been known to "upsell" a two plank border, as it will be faster in the long run, while allowing me to add a small charge for this "extra" level of service.

• Like Like x 1