Vinyl plank vs tile plank in higher end home?

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by DaWill, Oct 4, 2017.

Vinyl Plank or Tile Plank?

1. Vinyl: Karndean Korlok Reclaimed French Oak (RKP8109)

2. Tile: Mediterranea-usa boardwalk atlantic plank (48"x8")

1. DaWill

DaWill New Member

I'm having a hard time deciding between flooring for my house. We have about 2k sqft downstairs that we are ripping out, but are replacing with either tile plank or vinyl plank.

Our house is in the 600-650 range I suppose. So I'm really concerned about the vinyl plank and impact to resale value. However we have a pool and so wood is a no go (have it now along with carpet). Wife is leaning towards tile, but flooring installer really seems to think we should go with Kardean's new Korlok vinyl plank. The reclaimed french oak does look pretty nice.

I realize there are pro's and cons for all flooring types, but I have no background with vinyl, but I have heard Kardean is top notch. But I'm also looking at some pretty nice tile (mediterranea atlantic city 48"x8"). Cost isn't really a concern per se. However with kids and pets, and the pool I'm a little worried about slick tile. I've been told the vinyl is a little softer since it's floating and maintains traction better when wet. However I have no idea how vinyl will hold up long term, or if it's going to look "cheap" if I decide to resell in 5 years.

Long story short, is high end Vinyl plank good enough for higher end homes? The tile will definitely cost me more though (~$5k+), but I'm also not 100% of my installers motivations for pushing the vinyl over the tile, my best interest or theirs.
  2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

You seemed to have already made your decision, or at least indicated which direction you were leaning when you posted this in the Vinyl Q&A forum. I moved it to this more appropriate forum.

Tile will improve the value of any home, vinyl will not. From your description, I recommend the ceramic or porcelain plank flooring.

In CA, there is a separate contractor's license for tile setters than the C15 license for other floor coverings. Maybe your installed doesn't have the expertise to do ceramic & stone work. Ask for references or a portfolio for his/her work.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DaWill

DaWill New Member

Actually my opinion hasn't been made up at all. I have fears in both flooring types. Tile being too hard and possibly breaking with my house shifting some. Vinyl is the big unknown of durability, value, etc.

Anyways, I appreciate your opinion that tile would be best. I might be slowly coming around to the same opinion, but I'm definitely considering all feedback.
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Vinyl can compare visually to tile and hardwood. Floating is an insult, I feel ebgb's on hollow floors. The installer will not do an acceptable job with 8x48" tile due to lippage. Unless you find an extremely good tile setter who knows everything about tile/marble setting abilities.

My preference is gluedown with someone with a keen eye on floor prep.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. DaWill

DaWill New Member

They did mention there were extra spacers needing for the larger tiles to avoid this lippage. So it was going to cost more. I hope that means they know what they are doing. I'm intentionally using these people because of positive feedback from online and neighbors.

Thanks for the feedback on the glue down. The vinyl we picked out is floating only (I think), but it's a question I can follow up with.
  6. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

I'll bet you can find a similar look in glue down, Karndean does a lot of cool stuff with their design strips and whatnot as well. I've sold a lot of floating LVT and even in some very nice homes, and Korlok is a good product. The 5G locking system is pretty hardy. Glue down is probably still a better way to go if you have a choice, but that can mean underlaying the whole thing, etc.
  7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm a flooring guy but this question seems to me to be more about real estate values. As Jim says if you're considering resale value of this house tile is the preferred flooring for home buyers, appraisers, agents, lenders..................

Do the math

I wouldnt want ANY vinyl or laminate in my home. It just so happens I recently bought a new home with cheap laminate in the kitchen and laundy----about 200 square feet of a 1400 square foot home. It's not a deal breaker but I am going to rip it out and put tile ASAP............if not sooner.
  8. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I have laid thousands and thousands and thousands of feet of LVP, sure it's durable and has some style but never once....nope not once have I finished a job and said "wow, I wish that was in my house"

Maybe I'm a little bias, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man, but to me it always looks like what it is, imitation flooring made out of plastic. Most of them are thermally unstable, damage just as easily as all other coated vinyl products and to me it just looks cheap.

That's my two cents on it anyhow.
  9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

My issue is everything is faux. Porcelain plank to look like wood,ceramic tile to look like marble.

We have been sent to jobs where vinyl tile was mistaken for white marble. Vinyl plank was thought to be real hardwood, my brother thought Duraceramic was real ceramic. So for anyone not sure what the product is usually the touch/tap method works or you can put a utility knife tip in it at an inconspicuous place.

I ate at PDQ for lunch today, the floor looked like real hardwood, had to touch to confirm. Thought I took pic. Yesterday was a Chinese buffet, they were remodeling/hacking the bathrooms with tile. Tile can be had for 75 cents a foot, so for insurance purposes and I believe appraisals vinyl has to add value, I could ask some appraisers, never really got their opinion on it.

So in my own home, my only two considerations are vinyl plank and porcelain plank. I hesitate porcelain due to its time consuming painstaking effort to keep flat. Bedrooms I don't mind carpet. You may want some estimates or designers to give you recommendations. I like to get the feel of the home.

Ripped up travertine in a home last week. Kitchen, then most of house is getting Acacia, acclimating in living room. The outside grade of home pitched toward house, I gather there will be a moisture damage concern of the hardwood.

We vinyl planked a GC's home and his son who is a civil engineer with vinyl plank,(did about 30k ft in churches they built,base grade stuff) both with intentions of selling basically after finished building. Around the same price range.
  10. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would expect real wood or tile. We never see vinyl or laminate in high end homes here.
  11. A well made porcelain floor tile should have all the anti-slip properties you need. If you go with "wood look" the heavily textured tiles will add to that anti-slip surface. There are some very handsome and rather realistic looking porcelain "wood look" tiles out there. They are ALL the rage right now. If resale is 5-7 years, I would think this trend will continue. Go ahead and pick a traditional wood colour (stay away from the high-fashion dates QUICKLY) porcelain tile and have it installed by someone who insists on prep, prep and more prep.

I believe higher end homes should have higher end finishes. Not much is higher end than a lovely porcelain that has been properly installed. Vinyl, as pretty as it is, is still a petroleum by-product that was invented because linoleum was too expensive for the average homeowner.

You know your situation better than we do. The wood-look porcelain tiles are a HUGE hit. I can't see the trend slowing down any time soon. If resale is a consideration then the porcelain will do better for you than vinyl.
  12. DaWill

DaWill New Member

Thanks for all the feedback. My wife actually found a gluedown vinyl tile from Kardean she actually likes better than the korlok version mentioned or the tile plank she had picked out. She had the installer come out and bring a sample today while I was at work and I think she might have swung over to the vinyl side now :).

We have no plans on selling anytime soon. Love our house, and it sounds like vinyl wouldn't add value, but it doesn't sound like it would take away either. That's enough for me I suppose. 10 years down the road if I have to put in new floors I would definitely prefer to be ripping out vinyl than tile, that's for sure.

Nothing's final yet, but I'm definitely less concerned about the vinyl than I was when I started this thread.
  13. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You need to know if you have windows that let a lot of sun in you will need to watch that it doesn't bleach your flooring.