Vinyl Plank Dolly

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Installation & Maintenance Tips' started by Mike Antonetti, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

We have an install of vinyl plank, around 8k sq ft.

In order to efficiently get product from a pallet to install, material handling equipment is essential.

I bought Dolly's from northern tool and harbor freight to assist in moving furniture, couches etc. the vinyl plank we are installing is 4 ft long. I was going to screw some boards to my appliance dollys but realized they are 140$ a pair and I'm going to leave them at the jobsite. So I went to Home Depot to scout out the platform. I found 12" wide HDF for 4.14$ each, 48"long. So for about 20 additional dollars we got 4 carts to scoot around, one may be getting refilled while 2 are in a room, another in a different room on standby. The plank had 60 ft per box, two boxes high per dolly 6" wide. Very stable due to width of dolly, stacked evenly so edges don't droop down.

Attached Files:

2. JPfloor

JPfloor Pro Member

Nice!:D

Would it have worked using just one dolly centered with the board on top?

3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Almost every commercial resilient guy makes his own custom dollies if he's doing a lot of tile/plank. Otherwise they just own a few standard moving dollies. They don't sell those at Harbor Freight. Nor can you find a decent set of wheels there. This is the most basic dolly for commercial work:
    https://webstore.newhaven-usa.com/product_attribute_selector/show/id/OFFMVDOLLY/lang/1

New Haven Moving Equipment is where I've got a lot of the basic equipment.

New Haven Locations

For making your own dollies t's ALL about having the right quality of wheels on the right base. I use the wheels off the furniture dollies when they break. Some bonehead will eventually drop a 700 lbs roll of carpet or Mondo off the stakebed onto the dollies and destroy them. You can then scab the wheels from the broken ones to make whatever size dolly you want with 3/4" ply and 2x4s.

Something to do when work is slow.

4. Mike Antonetti

Maybe one would work, but product would bow slightly, I don't want any excuses if product shrinks, though it might help to keep joints tighter.

5. Mike Antonetti

I dislike it, just want to get all the flooring down to get a check, quickest,easiest way possible, not much of a challenge. We'll have a good check so I'll pay off some bills.

I've got a challenge on flattening a settled slab, I may try setting up rail system, that's a loss as far as buying straightedges, fastening system etc. but opportunity for referrals as this tile setter doesn't have the grinding equipment. Whatever I can't flatten he'll take over, I mean 2-3" drop in 10' so the faster I make money on this job allows me to purchase equipment for another job, never ending cycle.

6. Mike Antonetti

I got ya, carpet roll/tile crew will be there next week, their efficiency will be interesting.

7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Ya never know Mike. There's guys out in the Boondocks who know how to PRODUCE. But generally speaking you learn to be highly productive from a lot of direct competition, experience and training. That's what all of our trade unions strive for believe it or not

but we all fall short of the Glory..........

8. JCW355

JCW355 Pro Member

My 2 wheel dolly will lay down and can be used as a 4 wheel vinyl plank cart

9. Mike Antonetti

Yes, I've had the smaller convertible dolly, I have the magliner, like the beverage trucks, it's a little broken up, the aluminum weld for the wedge portion, the wheel covers blew out from being overweighted.