Vinyl Plank Adhesive

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Mike Antonetti, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

One day to the next I never know which adhesive has been sent with the product.

This adhesive was quite sticky. I used FFA trowel and dry set.

I think instructions contradict logic. The choice of wet set for this and many similar adhesives says 1/16" square notch, you get oozing out. Some adhesives say 1/16" square notch dry set which I think will telegraph through. If they want slab smooth, then ridges 1/16" is not smooth.

Then will the vinyl shrink? Is it the adhesive to prevent this? I don't think so.

Rolling the adhesive out to me seams to cause less contact with backing. Just a few of my observations, we were told that we would now only be using Mapei Eco 360, that didn't come to fruition.

The TiteBond we used today was very sticky, from being on trowel handle to sticking to my hands very well even after washing in my rinse bucket.

Attached Files:

2. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

I hate lvt for just this reason. We usually use the FFA notch and go in semi-wet to dry. Most of the time we are using 622 vinyl bond. I tried the 16th square notch wet and dry and they can keep that crap.

3. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

What's a FFA trowel?

4. Mike Antonetti

The versa blade, I recommend the new handle sorta like a patch trowel handle. I have 3 or 4 of the older handles on truck but always switch to new style.

After prep we did @ 800 ft in 4 hours, struck 3 lines in small home, spread half, the bucket says within 3 hours, I'm leaning more toward this recommendation of plank set within a time period. I simply cannot set within the wet parameters, starting/stopping, it causes severe delay.

Attached Files:

5. JCW355

JCW355 Pro Member

The supply house here has Henry 640 and XL 2230, that's what the people I work for send out to the job. FFA or WHA. That 1/16" square notch is way too much glue in my opinion. I think that's the glue manufacturer's way out. I think the last time I used an acrylic for plank was some amtico in the 1990's.

6. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

Sprayloc

7. Mike Antonetti

I see how the drywall finishers and painters use spray equipment! Hmm, I guess if it's ok to spray the floor with paint and compound, I don't see any reason why it would not be appropriate to spray adhesive on the walls.

Seriously if I needed to make a point and worked by myself and the right situation I would spray adhesive on the walls and tremendously enjoy it, all the way to court!

Thanks JCW, I have read those two install instructions, I've got many more thoughts on this.

8. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

Our installers love the spray stuff once they get going. Gets you off your knees. The hardest part is cleaning the floor pre application.

9. Mike Antonetti

I agree, the trowel acts as a mop and checks the floor for anything erratic like a patch dropping.

This Taylor 2091 adhesive has a stronger odor than other adhesives. Not sure what chemical is in it but similar odor to a wood floor adhesive we sent back. While troweling with windows open and small draft and next day residual odor in home. I would literally have to place the blower between floor and face for it to not be inhaled. Other adhesives are not as obtrusive but still may pose some health effects.

Attached Files:

10. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

We all know that if it stinks, it sticks.

I played with sprayloc once. I hated it. I have heard many people have had good results but it was different. I just didn't feel like I could cut in along the walls clean enough.

Do LVT companies offer warranty with sprayloc?

11. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

Who offers & as performed on a moisture warrant? Does not exist.

12. Mike Antonetti

The 2091 didn't seam very sticky, dry to touch checking didn't stick to fingers so I took a scrap just to see if plank would stick and it grabbed plank fine.

These plank and their ingredients I think vary maybe a lot, earthworks product we worked with the other day was rubbery like flexible, while other scrap pieces on trailer in 40 degree temp cracked like ice.

The solids in the adhesives to me are unknown, all the strengths (tensile/shear) to me are unknown so when trowel recommendations are suggested I'm assuming that is an equation used for notches.

Pressure Sensitive I assumed was a type of adhesive in a bucket, not the method used of setting material, so setting material in wet would not be PS. Nate had said something about vct adhesive being ps, let dry and set I guess it would be considered ps. Roland also said we were going to install as ps. So I gather the adhesive is acrylic type but method (dry) is utilized as ps.

Setting in wet doesn't hold plank in place for slight gaps, the plank needs to stay in place as you tighten it up next to another plank, so it has to be slightly dry to stick.

I think my major concern is this plank shrinking and thinking the adhesive is going to prevent this down the road. Going through the motions of installing but not knowing any performance characteristics of both plank and adhesive, I have no numbers to go off of.

13. JPfloor

JPfloor Pro Member

I'm surprised to see how many are using pressure sensitive for planks. We do primarily commercial installations and it seems all the manufactuarers we deal with send acrylic adhesive with their planks.

14. JCW355

JCW355 Pro Member

It's money. I use what they send. The people I work for are the liable ones because they choose what to use. I know the differences in the glues. Im working on a job with plank now and they are using XL2230 for plank.

15. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

I was told last week there are no acrylics in any Gerflor adhesives anymore. Any one know what sprayloc is?

16. Mike Antonetti

I am told latex adhesives (residual from previous coverings) can stain vinyl plank.

I assume acrylic is pressure sensitive just set wet or dry.

I didn't know vinyl plank stained, left a piece of light colored outside thrown around and it had various rust and dark spots. I don't know why I assumed it was like a polypropylene carpet fiber that will not absorb anything and stain it.

17. Mike Antonetti

I could be interested in a spray system for certain jobs. I am unfamiliar with equipment and procedures. Clean up ? Inside hose lines and spray gun? The thickness concerns me and the uniformity of application.

18. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

Thickness and uniformity is to follow a pattern on the floor. They give you a pic of what it should look like on the floor.

I've heard the backpack aplicator sprays are no good. Most just like the arisol can.

Oh yea big issue for hair salons. The finish on vinyl matters a lot. Also vinyl wood look inks are very often not UV stable. Put competing planks outside for 30days and you will see drastic different UV stability.

19. eaadams

eaadams Sport Floor Pro

What is the difference between acrylic, latex and pressure sensitive?

20. Jon Scanlan

Jon Scanlan That Kiwi Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

One of the other layers laid a domestic type sheet vinyl with a wood look pattern in a hair dressing salon which ended up getting yellow marks on it from the rubber wheels of the salon chairs