Vinyl grip strip over asbestos tile

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Nathan Tripp, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Nathan Tripp

Nathan Tripp New Member

Hello,

We are currently researching the best flooring solution for our basement.

We have asbestos tile thats it good shape. What I have researched so far is that is best to leave it alone and go over the tile with the new flooring. Thoughts?

I have been looking at the grip strip type (vinyl planks) vs click and lock installation because we have drain in the floor with a slight slope. I feel that the click and lock would present more issues when installing around the drain. I did not want to use glue down incase we had to remove the

My questions are:

Has anyone use the the grip strip in basements around drain and over asbestos tile? And what issues have they encountered if any?

Will I need a vapor barrier if so what kind? I have read a couple post of just sealing the floor with deck or garage floor paint and put the planks right over the floor.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nathan

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Grip strip floating floors will have the same floor flatness requirements as any click floating floor. A 6 mil vapor barrier will be a requirement just as with a click floor.

4. Nathan Tripp

Nathan Tripp New Member

Thanks for the quick responses and suggestions. Really appreciate them.

No moisture problems. Some people online suggest the paint as sealent for the asbestos tile before putting down a vapor barrier. I guess maybe for peace of mind.

Is there any way to raise a floor drain and level it to better meet floor installations guide lines?

This is a second drain. We have another one by the washing machine. I also read suggestions on filling it in. Which does not seem like something you should do.

5. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I’ve had plumbers extend the drain and then I level up to and around the pipe. If you go the other route and fill in the drain, the drain needs to be properly decommissioned, capped or plugged, if it is still an active drain. Simply dumping concrete down the drain will lead to problems down the road.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

What's the slope to the drain..........how low is the top of the drain from the level of the rest of the room??

If it's fairly mild..........the risk of an installation may be marginal. If it's a sharp drop that creates a very UNFLAT surface then there will be complications with the install.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kinsey

Kinsey New Member

How did your install go? I'm looking into installing the allure with gripstrip in my basement. We are replacing flooring for our family room which doesn't have a floor drain but does have a slope to the drain in our laundry room. I know I'll need to patch some areas of the floor where the tile is chipped or missing, but I don't think I want to level the entire basement floor. Was curious how install went for you.
    Thanks,
    Kinsey