Vinyl floor planks and furnace

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Theodora Smith, May 2, 2019.

1. i just had installed lvt in my basement over concrete. I am having a new furnace installed and was told by the hvac company that it is ok to put the furnace over the lvt. Any concerns?

2. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

What kind of LVP did you have installed? Floating or glue down? What kind of furnace? Does the furnace need to be secured through the LVP to the concrete?

3. It is a floating lvt. The furnace is an American Standard Silver 95 gas furnace. I do not believe that it needs to be secured.

4. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

Not to bash your HVAC guy but I wouldn't be listening to that advice. That's like asking a painter why your roof is leaking.

I would call the flooring shop you got it from & see what they say about your particular product.

What is the product anyway?

5. It is Tranquility lvp which was purchased at Lumber Liquidators.

6. Chris 45

Your HVAC guy knows about as much about flooring as I do about HVAC. Your furnace may be considered a permanent fixture by the flooring manufacturer. Installing flooring underneath it may void your warranty. I would reach out to the manufacturers technical services department for clarification.

7. I am not so concerned about the floor as I am about the safety of putting the furnace on top of the flooring.

8. Chris 45

I have never installed flooring underneath a furnace in my entire career so I couldn’t say whether it will be OK or not.

9. Thank you.