Vinyl floor adhesives

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by DebraT, Nov 16, 2017.

1. DebraT

DebraT New Member

hi, I am installing vinyl plank flooring and have some leftover Parquet flooring adhesive ( REDI-FLOR) can I use this on my loose lay planks?

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

No, you can't. You didn't tell us what vinyl plank flooring you have, so we can't tell you what adhesive to use. But there is a big difference between vinyl and wood flooring, so the answer to your question is easy: no.

3. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I would suggest no. I am going to presume you are looking for the glue to secure the perimeter? That glue has too much body and my not react to vinyl all that well. You want a latex based pressure sensitive adhesive.

4. DebraT

DebraT New Member

Thank you for your quick response, I was afraid that that might be the answer, so I will have to obtain the correct adhesive, so that the job is done right

5. Hi Debra,

Just want to clarify something. You mentioned using glue, but you also said "..on my LOOSE LAY planks"

We should probably ask why you're wanting to glue a floating floor? Are you having some sort of issue that's making you want to glue it?

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Totally missed that part. I guess I find myself with blinders on when people don't provide the most basic information: what product you are talking about. :mad:

7. Mark Brown

Come on lads, it's perimeter bonded! Haven't you read the instructions :)

I am to date unaware of a manufacture that makes loose lay planks that does not have this requirement.

8. Good point Mark, I was just coming from the angle that she may be using "loose lay" to mean a floating floor such as a click lock. Hope she posts back and tells us.

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

10. Mark Brown

I call b.s. in their claim but I shall now retract mine. I HAVE now seen a non glue perimeter loose lay :)

11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I’ve laid non perimeter glue LVT and I’ve also gone back a couple days later and pulled up the perimeter to glue it after it all shifted. Can’t imagine not using glue on any future installations.

12. Mark Brown

I can't imagine loose laying plank. The drop and done from XL is about as good as I can see it getting and every time I have been approached to do a loose lay I just glue it. Can't help myself. Now I have gone so far as to use a short nap paint roller and not put a whole lot down but that's as close as I can get

• Like Like x 1
  13. Coming from the commercial world I'm pretty skeptical of anything that isn't stuck down. I just don't understand, after years of seeing what maintenance does to heat welded sheet vinyl, how they think that dirt, spills and maintenance isn't going to get under that floor. Once that dirt and grit gets carried under there I would think it's going to act much like it has marbles under it and begin to walk due to traffic being on it.

Also, after watching the little install video from Mike's link. They're installing that tight with no expansion gap. The product might not expand and contract, but the structure sure will. What happens during the weather cycle when that room contracts and you have the product buckling off the floor.

God bless them. I hope that sell a ton of it. I'll be happy to sell the replacement material. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1