Vinyl Edger Tool Review, by Barry Carlton

Discussion in 'Article Discussion Forum' started by Jim McClain, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

This is a thread for discussion of the review, Vinyl Edger Tool Review, by Barry Carlton. Your comments and questions are welcome. You may also rate the review by selecting a rating in the drop-down box above right.
    Please read the whole article here: Vinyl Edger Tool Review and join in on the discussion below.

2. stullis

stullis Charter Member Senior Member

Looks like a decent product and reasonably priced. I only see the large size on their website though.

3. ScribeRight

ScribeRight Pro Member

Looks like a great tool for commercial sheet Vinyl on large jobs, "with cove Base" Fitting Net with vinyl to the baseboard i prefer to drop a pattern on it and transfer all cutting at the shop with the materials Flat on the floor, and not have to bring the knife back to the job site whatsoever. Whenever i see curling against the baseboard i can tell it was creased into the edge, Memory of the crease and compression will eventually release. Looks like a great tool also for glue down carpet, I use hook blades on glue downs and C&A, One blade would last couple hundred yards. JMHO. Greg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

I have both sizes and find that I only use the larger of the two. The mini sized on is nice for toe kicks and that's about it, but we all know what a pain to kicks can be sometimes.

I pretty much agree with everything in Barry's review, it's a great little tool. I get alot of use out of mine, I used it on wednesday to cut in a tub and it gave me a beautiful straight cut that I could use clear silicone on.

Like was mentioned in the review, it cuts NET so with loose laid type vinyls it's going to cut a little tight, but I'm sure you could use a piece of boa tape to stick a piece of vct on the side to make a nice spacer. I, like Barry, also would HIGHLY suggest only keeping one blade in it at a time. I figured that out the hard way.

My biggest complaint with the tools is that it doesn't have a way to keep the blade totally secure to the tool. I realize that it's kind of a safety feature to have there, if you turn your tool too sharply it will pop out and save you a potential mis-cut. But it makes the tool harder to use on stiffer materials.

Also, on the really thick sheet vinyl's like IVC's goliath line it will cut a little bit short of the wall just like you want it to because of the extra thickness of the vinyl pushing the tool away from the wall.

All in all, the tool has saved me time in certain situations where I needed to have a nice cut and do it quickly. It's not going to replace your hook knife, but for the price I can't see why you wouldn't pick up one of these.

5. Krissy Pizzo

Krissy Pizzo New Member

Howdy! My name's Krissy and I represent the Vinyl Edger on social media. (I hope this doesn't get flagged!) I just thought ya'll might want to know that we heard your feedback on the product and our newest model has made the appropriate changes

- The razors are fastened on the inside and no longer uses magnets, so it will no longer pop out. This feedback was consistent and proved to be tedious on a professional level, so we took that feature out.
    - We kept the smaller size as we created a better enhancement that is easier to use and maneuver. I attached a photo for size comparison.
    - It looks a little sleeker, too (I personally wasn't a fan of the white)

Don't worry, I won't spam you with promotions for it. To be honest, we're still not entirely sure of the limits for this little guy. We want to find out, though. I just created an account on here looking educate myself more on the subject.
    Cheers!

Attached Files:

• VE.png
      VE.png
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jim McClain

@Krissy Pizzo, you revived a 6 year old topic to promote your business (or the business you represent). Don't reply to old topics and do follow our rules. No free advertising. If you want to sponsor a tool give-away, contact me here.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

My advice, understand feedback deeply from the Installers in the trenches, I’ve recently learned when you change one thing it affects another. I have many requests that I cannot find the right tool manufacturer, or the quantity doesn’t support my request. My buddies can only do so much.

I don’t even know what the tool is an edge trimmer?

8. Jim McClain

You didn't read the review linked to in the first post, I guess. ;)

9. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

No I didn’t, tunnel vision! And time. That’s Barry? Looks like a businessman! I’ll have to go back when I have time this weekend. There are very few trimmers on the market, should this one be the best since it’s not big conglomerate manufacturer like Roberts and Crain?

10. kylenelson

I have one or two of the originals, worked okay but the blades popped out too easy. A skilled installer could out trim anyone with the tool probably twice as fast, especially high production guys like Incognito. The idea is great for non floor pros, I’ve lent the tools out and receiced good feedback on them

11. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I have yet to find a tool that can out preform my airway knife and a hook blade in it.... if I can ever figure out how to make that thing cut hardwood I would be unstoppable!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Those things don't cut commercial flooring. I've never seen anyone use anything like that for any application.

13. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Incog....I did test them on BioSpec and Armstrong Corlon, as several of the pics show, and they worked fine. While not my goto tool they will work and provide a good net fit, much like the old Armstrong hook blade trimmer.

However, as I said not my goto tool, I am much faster either free handing or patterning.

14. kylenelson

It will cut, but I just can’t see how it’s faster unless you lack the experience to make a nice cut freehanded.