Vinyl and more vinyl.

Discussion in 'Flooring Potpourri' started by Steve Olson, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

With the passing of my friend and Co Worker a few months back, I've had a steady diet of coved, welded vinyl, Most of our commercial work is for a hospital, and its numerous clinics and offices throughout the county, and they are using Tekno Floor. Its just a heavy roto vinyl, not an inlaid, and is the hardest flooring I've worked with and welded. But the last 2 jobs, for the county, have been some Armstong Corlon, and what a treat that is to work with. So much easier to handle, install, weld. That Tekno beats me up, wish I could just do the Armstrong and all the vinyl plank. Yeah, that will never happen.
    Have a good weekend All.

• Like Like x 2
  2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Yep, have done teknoflor, it’s a real bear. Corlon is basically like an advanced IVC at this point, it’s still a hair touchy but so much easier to cut in than it used to be. Give me planks all day every day. Either way, it’s all better than carpet

3. Steve Olson

One problem with the Tekno is that once you cut thru the wear layer and color, you have white backing. Unlike the thru color vinyls like the Armstrong, where a slightly heavy bevel doesn't stand out. Flat lay is fine, but so many of these cove jobs are at old hospital clinics, or county buildings. Both of the ones I just finished were on there third of fourth floor install, the outside corners are trashed, or, there is FRP board hung to about 3" off the floor, and they used to have top set base. So, between the cap metal, FRP, and whats left of the drywall, I don't have much of a corner to fit and scribe to.

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

I strongly dislike (hate) those paper thin surface layer vinyl products. I don't understand how they get specified/sold in commercial applications. They are garbage in my opinion. Every chance I get I try to sway the decision makers amongst the customers and sales staff to choose better quality flooring. Believe it or not sometimes they listen.

5. kylenelson

Teknoflor is a good floor, I’ve seen some I’ve laid ten years ago and it looks pretty much new. It just sucks to install.

6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I am still seeing some of the designer solarian I did a long time ago in houses.

7. kylenelson

There’s a reason they stopped making that

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Steve Olson

I put 6ft Mannington Duracon in my parents dining room in 1980. Used the old IP 510A adhesive, red can sealer. Still there today, seams have held up fine. Those PVC vinyls actually welded together with the sealer.
    The Tekno is tough, but what i run into is punctures issues. Just had to replace about 30 ft in the ER corridor, from the Paramedics wearing ice spikes into the corridor. Left MANY little punctures that didn't show for months. Things get dropped and break the surface, need a patch. They are used the wood floor pattern, which makes small repairs difficult when the damage is across several of the planks.

9. kwfloors

Yes. They got a new owner that dropped their best seller line. Ray Thompson quit after he did that.

10. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Which time was that (that he quit) :rolleyes:

11. kwfloors

Back when Armstrong was losing ground because of laminate floors. Almost went under and got a new owner. What I find is the yr. 2000 bankrupt and 2006 bought out.