[Work Wanted] Very Experienced Commercial Installer

Discussion in 'Looking For a Flooring Professional or Product' started by ggreer2626, Apr 8, 2020.

1. ggreer2626

ggreer2626 Pro Member

Hello all,
    I am trying to find out what companies in the knoxville area do the bulk of the commercial flooring work. I have lived here for 2 years, before that I lived and worked in Spokane, WA. and before that I spent 20 years doing flooring in central. Shortly after I moved here I picked up a contract to do 93 rooms in a hotel in Pigeon Forge. I finished the work in 3 months, after that they gave me the contract to install new vanities and remodel all the bathroom areas, so I've been there ever since. I still have 20 or so rooms left to do. That being said, I'm pretty sure we all know what is happening with the coronavirus, so hotels aren't exactly making any money so i'm on hold for god only knows how long. If you've been doing this as long as I have you know what it does to your body, that's why I took the job doing vanities, and the fact that the people that own the hotel are amazingingly good people and they pay good and quick. I'm 57 years old and basically started picking up carpet scraps for my uncle when I was 10. For the most part up until a few years ago I never really cared for installing but somewhere along the way I learned that not everyone can be good at something so I learned to embrace it. I have done flooring for Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Florida Institute of Technology, University of Central Florida, Patrick Air Force Base, NASA and etc.. I am not a helper, I'm the boss. I' prefer to work alone, I don't do occupied residential. I need to find some work. Normally I would just hope in my truck and go to stores until I find some, but that's not happening. I can do commercial carpet, vct, carpet tile, vinyl, vinyl plank, cove base, hardwood, laminate, ceramic tile, wood base, quarter round, and most remodeling types. I can pass a background check to work on military bases, I can also read blueprints and do takeoffs. I don't drink, smoke, or do illegal drugs. I won't work for a store that pays twice a month (stores that do that find to many ways to screw with your money), and I won't work for the asshats that do home depot's work. I have done a lot of work for Lowes but don't like to because their people don't educate the customer. I'm a guy that you can give the job materials to and you don't have to worry. I can figure out how to fix just about any flooring mistakes because I've made plenty. I get along with customer's and I respect their space and so will anyone I bring with me. I have references if needed. I Hope this post makes it thru, and knowing installers I'm sure I'll catch hell for something. I hope everyone is healthy and your families are safe.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Wanna move to canada?
    You are like a dream come true lol

....been in the trade long enough to know that "pass a criminal record check" pretty much tells me all I needed to know lol

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Hard to stay in commercial in this climate. Need to diversify and do residential also to keep busy.

4. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

There is a Bonitz in the Knoxville area. They do plenty of commercial work. Might be worth a shot to give them a jingle.

5. brad daugherty

brad daugherty Pro Member

Maybe call the local supply shops in the area.

6. ggreer2626

ggreer2626 Pro Member

I've done more residential than I care to remember. I broke my right hand back in 96 and I have a screw in my right wrist that gives me a lot of grief. A kicker makes it ten times worse. My wife and I moved to Washington state in 2014 until 2017 and I was doing carpet, vinyl, and a lot of lvt in empty flip houses and I really enjoyed it because I like working alone. I can still do 150 yards in an empty house per day of base grade carpet, by myself, but i'm not getting any younger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

Amazing !! :bow: 200yds if the wrist was 100 % ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. There’s many t shirts out there describing our personalities. Or logical people.

Attached Files: