Variation in PetProof brand carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Logan, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Logan

Logan New Member

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first time on this forum. I have a question about variation in carpet batches. My wife and I recently purchased PetProof brand carpet from Home Depot. When it arrived we thought it didn't look or feel quite right compared to our sample. The delivered carpet felt less dense and seemed to hold imprints more clearly. The fibers seemed to be shinier too. I've attached two pictures (one in shade, one in full sun) of the sample and delivered carpet. We ordered it in style Gazelle II but we thought they might have sent us Gazelle I (style info below).

We refused installation and Home Depot is investigating. So far they say that the paperwork points to the correct carpet being delivered and have sent a sample to the manufacturer for a density test. We are currently waiting on the results of that test.

I expected there might be some slight variation in color, but did not expect the carpet to feel significantly different. I'm not sure how much you can tell from the pictures, but is this much variation expected between carpet batches?

Thank you for any insights or advice!

Logan

IMG_8346.JPG IMG_8348.JPG
    PetProof Gazelle II (expected carpet):
    Material: 100% Triexta
    Face weight: 55oz
    Density: 3334
    Pile Height (in.): 0.5938

PetProof Gazelle I (maybe delivered carpet):
    Material: 75% Triexta/25% PET
    Face weight: 45oz
    Density: 1620
    Pile Height (in.): The HD website says 1 in., but that seems wrong

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

From the pictures it sure looks like you got shamboozled.
    Shade variations are common in carpets, hell they usually cant even get it right from right to left, but those do look like 2 different qualities. Pictures are hard but thats my 2 cents

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

The problem I have is when you said they ‘sent a sample off to the mill for verification’. All I can think of is how the eff do you not know what you ordered because mills don’t just send out the wrong stuff as often as some people would have you believe. What happens when it comes back as the correct carpet that you ordered? Dye lots vary, samples have already bloomed, blah blah blah but now you have it in your head that that is not the correct material.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Hard to see if both carpets are running same direction, that affects the reflection/color. Rolled carpet fibers tend to lay down with pile direction and will reflect more light than an opened flat piece of carpet as the memory raises the fibers with no downward pressure from carpet being rolled up.

Dyelots do vary, and if you dislike the texture/type/walk/vacuum marks its an issue of satisfaction with some customers. Make sure you’re happy now.

With a machinists rule one could measure the warp and weft (length and width) of one square inch of each carpet to determine if both pieces were tufted equally. Along with height.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Some companies reps don't keep up with the drops and the changes to carpets fast enough.

6. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Is there a reason for picking out pet proof? Quite frankly I'd send it all back and find a good nylon. And go to reputable flooring store. PET is a poly and don't expect it to look good for a long period of time. It will matt down. Secondly to be pet proof there are parameters to be met-basically no holes to be put in the carpet or you will have a leak if a pet was to go on that spot. Installer can't use a spike on his stretcher to install. Just saying.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris 45

What about the stretcher head poking holes in the backing as previously mentioned? Is that a condition of being pet proof as well? I know plenty of mediocre installers that use poles to stretch but I’ve seen only a handful over the years that have a cotton head.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Antonetti

I can’t see a way of avoiding digging into the backing with a standard stretcher. Cotton head I’ve seen but thought they would pull tufts out and I can’t remember what types of carpet they were recommended for wovens?

And the knee kicker, maybe it doesn’t penetrate. Or the word “self healing” self leveling, or self driving, we know how those can end up.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  9. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I've never pulled a tuft but have fuzzed a few where the head slid. A disposable razor works good for removing that. But the kicker is it won't grip in poly at least I never had it grip unless a loop. So to me it is one of those catch 22 things- use teeth and it makes holes, use cotton head and it slides. Another good reason to get poly out of the equation and market.

:old:

Daris

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris 45

I was reading the warranty for pet proof carpet and it sure does have a lot of exclusions (just like floating floors). Couldn’t find anything regarding the installation instructions and any required specifics that would apply to pet proof carpet though.

11. Isabella Flooring

Isabella Flooring Pro Member

Many here have a lot to learn.
    (1) No such thing as a PET PROOF broadloom piece of carpet. (urea and latex don't get along). Be it polyester or nylon.
    (2) No such thing as WATERPROOF when a material has a Relative Humidity factor in the guidelines, Relative Humidity=Moisture=water/liquid.

Give a product a story to sell, deal with the issues when they come.

12. Mike Antonetti

Maybe you need to learn “nothing is proof” pretty much covers everything.

13. Chris 45

Winner winner chicken dinner.