VA tile

Discussion in 'Carpet Sales and Installations' started by Daris Mulkin, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I went and looked at a church job today that has some REALLY old VA tile. Did they make VA tile in the early 1900"s? Anyway these tile are a full 1/4 inch thick. I have never seen them that thick.
    These tile are loose, curling, breaking up. and what have you. There is stretch in carpet over the top for the most part. But some areas that are about 8x8 ft. are missing. The church refuses to have it abated by an abatement company per my suggestion. I said pay the piper now or pay it later. They want to glue new carpet over the top WITHOUT it showing the tile lines. There are also areas where the floor is spongy, so it is a nightmare from hell. They are open to suggestions. Their budget is very small and they are doing a short commercial plush carpet.
    Here are some pictures of the tile. Oh 2 layers of vat tile are the exact thickness of the old tile.

:old:

Daris

Attached Files:

2. Chris Mha

Chris Mha Charter Member Senior Member

Run Forest Run!!

3. Daris Mulkin

Maybe after thinking about this I am doing like Mike A. and over thinking this. This stuff is over a wood subfloor so why couldn't plywood be nailed down over all of it to lock in any tile and cover it all. I'm thinking 1/2" . Or would 3/4 be better?

Daris

4. Hey Daris,

I looked up some info on line at What Is Vinyl? and the article says the accidental discovery of PVC was made in 1926. Would your floor pre-date that? Could it be possible this stuff is a solid asbestos tile?

Pretty cool though. Thanks for sharing, I've never seen that before.

5. Lib McYennik

Lib McYennik Pro Member

That's a decent solution but probably to expensive for them too...

6. You mentioned the floor is "spongy" in areas. Assuming that might be from weak joist / subfloor might the weight of your 1/2" or 3/4" added layer and then your carpet over that add too much stress to an already weak floor?

You definitely got a head scratcher in this one. Then again I think Mike might be rubbing off on me too. :)

7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

late '40s- early -50s would be the earliest vinyl floor tiles in significant production if I recall correctly------you never know though it could have been something special and ahead of it's time by a decade or so

before that resilient tiles included asphalt-asbestos, rubber, linoleum, cork......there may be more

that looks like asphalt tile-----not CERTAINLY asphalt but that's my first guess

they did make asphalt tile in 1/4" for heavier traffic

you didn't mention if the tiles were 9x9 or 12x12.........not that it helps for sure but 12x12 asphalt would be fairly rare, as in custom order. They did make some large size and heavier gauge asphalt

I believe the standard gauge was 3/16" for most of the period where asphalt-asbestos tiles were the primary commercial flooring on the lower end/ heavy commercial/industrial market.

8. Daris Mulkin

This is a very old Catholic church in a very old town and it is in the beginning of main street. So I'm assuming that the church was built in the late 1800's or early 1900"s. I don't know if the tile are original to the church.
    Spongy floor is where the Priest stands at the alter and I'm told he is a
    very heavy person. I never met him.

Daris

9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Nails may or may not want to penetrate the asphalt (?) tile and then get a healthy bite into whatever is below

but yeah, plywood over top

screws, nails.........1/4" ply where tiles are missing should be easy enough then a nice healthy layer over that is the best you can do in a modest budget

how thick overtop?

1/2" should be fine if you fill/fix/patch any voids where the 1/4" tiles are missing. 3/4" seems like overkill unless you have no intention on filling the voids and are thinking of bridging the missing areas? I wouldn't consider doing that-----even for glue down carpet. I just picture all kinds of hassles getting whatever fasteners you choose to grip.

I'm simply not sure how much patch I'd want under the finish layer of ply-------if any. So the loose, cracked, curled or whatever areas...........yeah, that's a tough call probably have to go case by case and use your best judgement.

11. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes I Support TFP Senior Member Published

We have an old paper mill here in Milwaukee that I've put floors into. The old cafeteria has 1/4" tiles in it. I was told they were installed in the twenties. They are curling too. The company uses the room for meetings on occasion and I was asked for suggestions as to how they coul cover it. I tbought a floating floor could work.
    For your situation one could use a good 5 ply arctic birch (1/4") and fill the voids with it. Then go over the whole mess with another layer of it. The thinner wood will give your fasteners a better bight into the "spongey" floor.