using vinyl sheeting to prep for tile

Discussion in 'Floor Preparation' started by Alanhockey, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Alanhockey

Alanhockey New Member

Hello all
    just bought a new vacation home. (1800 square feet) Wife wants tile. Pulled up the carpet to find....
    1. a major joint where the slab was poured in two sections.
    2. about 5 cracks in slab. one as big as 1/8" (most are small less than 1/16")

My question is, can I fill in cracks and joint with concrete filler products, then lay linoleum over that and then lay my tile?

my DIYer thought process is:
    1. the vinyl underneath will prevent reflective cracking.
    2. I will save a crap load of $$$ because I can get the vinyl flooring for $25/150sf (need1800sf) instead of buying ECB anti fracture membrane/similar products.

thanks for any input.
    Alan

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

3. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Why not just spend a little more money and use an actual uncoupling membrane. 1800 sq ft is a lot to gamble with. I get that tile is not cheap to begin with, and neither are the membranes, but IMO you’re jeopardizing your entire install by not doing it correctly. Protect your investment, and it is, and do it right. Ditra or Flexibone would be my go to choices but there are several others out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I prefer liquid area/spot treatment with maybe Mapelastic C.I. Or the pink/Red stuff from Custom(Redguard) rolled on 3 tile wide. The grout joints above tile should be filled with flex caulk of same grout color.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Uzin has a system of putting a fiberglass sheet into patch for a joint overlay. They warranty it too.

6. Alanhockey

Alanhockey New Member

thanks for the input. I was able to do more research with your information and it looks like I will do one of the roll ons (after repair to the cracks)
    thank you all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I would like to see picture of cold joint where you think two pours were done. Cracks too, typically you don’t fill those so they continue to expand/contract if needed. The design of all the suppression membranes is to isolate the rigid bond of tile to slab yet still hold it firmly in place.

It would be ideal for the grout joint to be in line with the cold joint and filled with colored caulk. Honor the joint, it’s movement.

Then tile and concrete have different expansion rates, as tile expands it needs somewhere to go. Soft joints are usually placed @ 20 ft intervals depending on a lot. Interior/exterior/heat.