Ultimate Scraper Blade's Spud Bar Review, by Jim McClain

Discussion in 'Article Discussion Forum' started by Jim McClain, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

2. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

Appears to be a scraper-supreme but you will never catch me using another spud bar scraper as long as I live. I retired from using those things a few years ago, I'll leave all that type of manual labor up to the younger pups of the industry. Good appraisal though Jim, but who's that young man in the last photo?:) Now, where did I put my cigarettes?

3. Jim McClain

I guess I should have mentioned the even younger man using the tool in the pictures. He played model that day but he also tore up all but about 20sf of the tile. That's all I was good for. ;)

Oh sure, try to make me feel better. Yeah, that's me. I actually took that pic just the other day when a friend sent me a shirt and wanted me to send her a pic of me wearing it. I'm such a handsome devil (when I don't have "hypocrite" written across my brow). :D It loses something with the o2 strapped on though. :D

Attached Files:

4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

My question Jim is of the demo of the VCT. Did you test first to see if it had any asbestos? How big was that job? In Ohio we are limited to 200 sq ft without EPA permits.

5. Jim McClain

The job was a 12x14 room. No test was necessary as I sold the material for that DIY job just 8 years ago. I'd be happy to discuss demolition of any type of product in another thread, but this thread is about the tool I reviewed. I would never advocate removal of VAT or any other hazardous material, as defined by federal, state or local standards. Each state and many localities have different laws concerning these materials and it is important for the installer to abide by them and to use the proper methods and equipment. But if the material specifications (including the adhesives used) and the laws governing them allow unabated removal such as this instance, this is the tool to use.

Thanks,

Jim

6. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Great job on the review, and quite timely. Been looking to get one, and that one will fill the bill nicely. I too, have been a steady customer of Pacific Flooring supply since I got my c-15 in 1985.

7. Jim McClain

I had an opportunity to try the tool out on some cheap sheet vinyl on a concrete slab. Not a big challenge since this stuff isn't all that difficult to tear up, but it is just one more of those situations where the old style blades tend to get material jammed up in the clamp, distorting the blade and making a less than smooth take-up. The Ultimate Scraper Blade is just a really nice tool that makes these jobs easier and more profitable.

Again, I want to thank Patrick, of Skirted Blade Systems, for providing the tool through their distributor, Pacific Flooring Supply, Sparks, NV. I've been a customer of Pacific Flooring for over 30 years and they have always been good to me.

Jim

8. Darol Wester

Darol Wester Charter Member Senior Member

Looks like a great tool, though my back is hurting just watching that guy. Now, who gets to take up the white stuff? :D

9. Jim McClain

The backing came up on the second pass. I installed that floor about 5 years ago, so there is no asbestos contamination.

Jim

10. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Hey... The manager of MY Pacific Flooring Supply, is also named DAVE... WTF?

11. Jerry LA Tile

Jerry LA Tile Charter Member

Nice review Jim. Being a new guy in the flooring business I would love to see a tool review/use forum. TY;)