Ultimate job site radio

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Don Monfils, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

IMG_8633.PNG

I recently purchased the Dewalt ToughSystem radio. This thing is awsome.
    It sounds like a nice home stereo , charges battery's, and will run on the batteries.

2. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member I Support TFP

Sorry, no. Meet the FireHawk. 6 speakers with a built in sub. Sure it's a primarily a guitar amp, but it has Bluetooth so, jobsite radio. Oh and did I mention it had 1500 watts?

I'm going to get one eventually because it pairs nicely with some other gear I have, and also because it would be awesome to pull up to a jobsite where my little Bluetooth speaker was overpowered by some mariachi and or sister kissing music the day before and rattle the windows... and by rattle the windows I mean blow them in to the neighbors yard.
    IMG_0388.JPG

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Been through a few brands, I have a rigid tiny one, very portable but haven't listened to at the jobsite due to vacuums and grinders going.

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

5. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

I had a GE Super Radio, that I bought in the mid 80's. That radio was in my work truck, until about a year ago, when it walked off of a job site. It had the best tuner of any radio I ever have owned. I was given a Bosch jobsite radio, but, I don't own any Bosch cordless tools, and the radio rection is just so-so, and to be honest, its just too big and awkward to pack around. I have a Oontz Angle speaker for my Android, but I'd be much happier with just a small am/fm radio that sounded as good and has the same reception as my old one. Any suggestions? How do yo know if the tuner is good, without buying one?

6. Mike Antonetti

I agree and have seen many complaints about the Bosch cube, my brother had one, heavy, bulky, bad reception. I then got a Sony digital which worked better but plug in. So then I went to the ridgid tiny radio. Good sound, and if you're working all over the place you can get a few of them. The thing about them is they're discreet, how can anyone yell at you about loud music when it's coming out of a tiny box. Easy to set on window ledge to get some radio waves. I wouldn't pay much, there's bunches around, maybe 25$ for one.

On the Dewalt topic, just saw a cooler of theirs for 500$ at Rural Farm, coolers are crazy price(Yeti)

7. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

Thanks Mike, that looked like a winner, until I got to the part about it needing an 18v Rigid battery. Sad face.Now, if Porter cable batteries fit it. The Rigid lifetime warranty on all tools is pretty impressive.

8. Mike Antonetti

That's always the case, "meets my needs" Or the shortcomings.

For awhile I wanted the larger radio, they kept changing designs, then weight/space on the shelf became an issue.

I dropped two chargers and the older batteries(5)not lithium ion, I think metal hydride? off at the tool repair place, asked if he wanted them for free, he accepted.

The warranties you have to stay on top of registering. The tools, lifetime, batteries only combo set, or 3 years bought off shelf without tool. Then if you do get lifetime battery and get a new one you have to register it.

Me, I will obsolete the tool, when a newer version is gotten and use the new one.

If a bunch of us get together we can trade off tools, ridgid, Milwaukee etc. I have a couple 2 amp batteries and other tools I could swap out. I have 2 jigsaws, only need one. Currently two chargers one on trailer one in house, but I'll get some more if another purchase is made. Oh, two circular saws, two or 3 drills, though some do not have hammer, (tricky when buying combo set)

9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

10. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

I have a little ridgid one myself. It is the best part of the drill/driver kit i got. The drill and driver suck.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

I always liked the Bosch radio because it has the 4 gfci plug sockets on it. Came in real handy when doing new construction and plug sockets were limited. Mine finally died last month after surviving for 10 years. Since I mainly do resi now I’m looking at all the Bluetooth headset options. Can’t really crank up the radio with granny sitting on the couch watching me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

13. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In Senior Member

Says who ?

14. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I operate under a very strict no radio no warranty policy. I have yet to test it in court but I'm leaning heavy toward win.

That Dewalt is a nice radio for sure, a carpenter buddy of mine has one and it pumps. Have to say though, I'm not loving the hate for my dear bosch cube radio. I have abused mine going on 8 years now and she is as good as the day I got it.... or as good as any radio can be after falling out the side door of your step van doing 80 miles an hour down the highway. People asked why build a roll cage around a radio, well my friends I am here!!