uDecor Polyurethane Base & Case

Discussion in 'Spotlight on Flooring Professionalism' started by Chris 45, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Been doing some Udecor polyurethane base n case for the past week on a huge house. This stuff is a bit different to work with than wood base but looks good when it’s done.

BDC01EED-B7A8-4D47-8A1B-1EB95413B7D2.jpeg 71CBA18B-72A4-4BE2-BAC1-CD87A74E9775.jpeg 683F7BFE-0CB8-4CE7-A30E-9AD80E5DBA69.jpeg 01E5C876-986D-48AC-B9D3-908347D35A49.jpeg 8121FD0A-9FB6-490C-A2A6-98B0F5D899D0.jpeg 6E58C5E7-F1CE-45E2-8E5A-A0BB2DE43C15.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain TFP Owner/Founder Administrator

That's really nice looking work, Chris. Can you tell us a little bit about how you cut and install it? Looks like you use some kind of glue to pre-assemble some of the corners. I especially like how you addressed the outlet. I would have probably moved the outlet up a bit, but your solution is really attractive.

3. How the hell did you measure/mark the stringer? Template? And that electrical plate needs a serious upgrade if it’s the focal point of the entire home.

Very well done, me - pass!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

I was thinking the same thing Mike, as much as i can appreciate the craftsmanship, I take serious umbrage with how much attention that thing draws to the eye. Hats off to you Chris for not just chopping out a box around it, I appreciate that however man alive that thing screams at me.

Looks to me like the stringer was existing and our man Chris just capped it

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Good Lord!!! The old pink pencil sharpener must have been scorching hot!!! Nice job Chris!

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

The electrical outlet is now so fancy the family has to bow down before it, pray to the alter of Thomas Edison. Makes me want to put a candle and some flowers down in front of it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Chris 45

This stuff cuts like a dream. You miter or cope it just like you would wood base. You’re supposed to glue it to the wall with adhesive (silicone is what I used) and pin it in place with some brad nails until the adhesive sets up. After that you can caulk/ sand/ paint or whatever it is that you want to do to it. 100% waterproof.

We had the trim painted before I installed it so I had to take a little more time with my corners and scarf (scarph?) joints because cutting it my best and caulking the rest wasn’t an option. I used super glue and activator on all my corners because pin nailing the corners doesn't hold like it would with wood base, and you know I like my corners looking nice. It’s a very friendly product to work with.

99E59381-CFEB-4DB4-A61C-E0A99E1FC9DE.jpeg 3E7D3D3F-3165-4795-9944-6144CB8F3132.jpeg 15F866C3-9EAE-4EB0-A87B-B21593F956EA.jpeg 7A9406F0-2904-475D-A745-13EDF203CEC4.jpeg 2F3FE59A-A2F3-4112-A894-ADE309DDC3BF.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Looks good man! I like what you did around the outlet.
    . Thats the kind of stuff that sets off the entire job. You can do a great job on the floor & make it look like complete shit with shoddy trim work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mark Brown

Don't encourage him!
    Next time we see an electrical outlet Chris installed around it will have Chrom and ground lighting...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Chris 45

My buddy always says layin the floor is where you make your money, the finish work is where you keep your money.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

Floor work is finish work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Chris 45

Old Pink died on this job. I left after work on Friday for a 3 day weekend and when I showed back up Tuesday, Pink was gone. No answer as to what happened to Pink other than it self destructed in my buddy’s hand when he went to sharpen a pencil. That thing has been super glued back together from one incident and had gorilla tape wrapped around it from another. Gorilla tape! There’s no way Pink would, or even could, just self destruct. So I look at the kid and ask him what happened to Pink. Did Pink get thrown at you? (I could see that happening) Not a word... but there was a new Blue pencil sharpener just like Pink waiting for me on my work table. Then I got a ration of shit for why I would even have a pink pencil sharpener to begin with. Umm hmm. I know there’s a good story behind Pink’s death but apparently I’m just gonna have to wait for it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 71b73656-17e5-4651-ad25-e3f0815438f5-Taps.jpg 71VIHj6IRWL._AC_SY355_.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. RIP pink. You're gone but will never be forgotten.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chris 45

I finally finished up with this job. One of the last details to do was an arched doorway. This product is surprisingly flexible.

I made a template of the arch and used that for a backing to hold the curve. Working from the center out I hot glued the casing to the plywood template, working it about 1’ at a time. It took two of us to work the curve as we got towards the end of the arch. You have to let the glue fully cool before you release your clamps. I then used a router with a flush trim bit to clean up the edges before nailing it in place.

1DFA0E98-C3F2-4E13-8EE2-397C4D0BC9D3.jpeg 6EBA275B-A001-47AB-B960-3425AD49CC85.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Mark Brown

Wow buddy that looks great! Those folks must be thrilled.

I send to you a pat on the back for a job well done.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  17. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

Awsome work!

18. So the plywood stayed on back of trim? X 2(both sides?) the radius doesn’t look the same from template to wall.

Another eye draw, not sure I like the distraction of thinking how the guy did that walking around in my home. Outstanding workmanship though.

19. Chris 45

I put the 1/4” ply underneath the side casing pieces as well. The customer is getting all their doors and jambs painted so the plywood will be caulked and painted for a seamless finish.

20. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Beautiful!