Two bathrooms

Discussion in 'Ceramic & Stone Sales and Installations' started by Don Monfils, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

I have a customer that I sold and installed hardwood in the entire first floor, last year.
    Now they are almost ready for the upstairs... install hardwood, carpet removal, remove and replace base moldings and furniture ( nice job!)
    She asked me to tile her master bathroom floor. I gave her a price to install ceramic/ porcelain floor tile. I get there and it’s 7” hexagon shaped tile. And she has some natural stone tile to go behind her tub and a small knee wall

53AEEACF-C1A0-4515-ACB2-E5C468FC6C71.jpeg F2C42FA2-C869-4BED-A4E8-90F215AF37E9.jpeg CA454C92-37E7-4370-B1E6-7B4404CE87B7.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Don Monfils

Next she wanted me to tile her smaller upstairs bathroom. I gave her a price based on a wood look porcelain tile.
    She picked 12 x 24 natural stone .
    I talked her out of that because it’s a modular home with a single layer 3/4” osb subfloor and she wants the tile and hardwood to be close to the same height.
    So she gets 6”x 24” wood look tile, then ask me if I can install it in a herringbone pattern.:eek:
    What a pain that is in a small room.
    It took me 12 hours and it seemed like 500 trips up and down the stairs to the garage to make most every cut.
    AB3DF084-1A7B-44E3-AA7C-D262187237C9.jpeg 9DC5B403-6A13-4557-9D7C-345192D3E6A7.jpeg DD2A185A-C274-4361-8F20-8ABA556F6593.jpeg 758670F8-5C6B-49F2-9C5E-B201FFF9588A.jpeg
    She liked the herringbone pattern so much she asked me if I can do the hardwood in the same pattern ( mind you it’s a big hallway and 3 big bedrooms with closets)
    I said umm....

No

• Like Like x 7
  3. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

That woman has great taste. I really like it excepting for the cabinets that no longer match the wood floor look tile. Overall, the bathrooms still looks fantastic and you can only take the credit for giving her a first class installation. What a pleasure to see when those two things come together. Thanks for taking the time to share the photos.

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I agree with Incog, that's some fine work you did there. I'd say her taste was exemplary, except she chose that ugly baseboard. But the rest is good lookin' stuff, for sure.

5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

The base does kind of ugly out the whole deal but it did't jump out at me the way Jim sees it. I'd want it painted some other color to blend in better. It's not a lost cause for sure. The right paint color on that base could really put it all together. White isn't ideal there but were I you, Don, I sure as hell wouldn't mention it til I had the check in hand and was sure I didn't have to deal with that tedious detail.

6. flrguy89

flrguy89 Pro Member

Agree, this install looks really good and with all those cuts this was no small task. Great job Don

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I would think running the tile down to the floor in the first bath would look better but to each there own, we just do what we're told. Nice job.

8. Don Monfils

Thanks guys, she is having the bathroom painted.

I’ve been doing a lot of diagonal layouts lately. They can be a pain in small cut up rooms. It’s pretty tricky to take measurements when you run into a door casing with a pipe next to it. I made a template for a couple of these cuts.
    971290F5-F827-4E0A-B578-84758457FE7A.jpeg 4C4C5729-9658-4AF0-84D7-3CFED0B007E6.jpeg BCD3971B-7FFE-4BB4-8360-9699C78CDF34.jpeg 58C08529-5788-4A18-B902-10F12D6BA947.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  9. flrguy89

flrguy89 Pro Member

My 2 cents. Whenever I did a small area like this with a complicated layout and tons of cuts, this will tell you I do Linoleum, dry lay all the tile. Again reasonable bathroom area, once it’s all layed out I full paper pattern the room then drop that over the tile, trace the whole thing and make cuts. Don’t laugh but it saves a bunch of up and down to make cuts and with the grout lines and spacing there is plenty of room for minor fudging.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tom Potter

Tom Potter I Support TFP

You know what, that's actually not a bad idea. I like it. Saves a ton of time on measuring/scratching your head too. Just move your pattern around till it looks good. As long as you have the space to do it. I might give that a go next time.

And don, those look great.
    The only problem when you do stuff like that & it turns out looking awesome is then people want more of it. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Charge accordingly of course. I like the floor with the burgundy paint. Very nicely coordinated. Diagonal always reminds me of a woman’s decision for some reason. They say “what about diagonal”

• Agree Agree x 1