Tucking against wood laminate and tile

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by Lo Down, May 13, 2006.

1. Lo Down

Lo Down Old as dirt member Charter Member Senior Member

Here's a job I did for a friend.

He wanted a carpet with no seaming, and we chatted back and forthe over his options for this room. The tile was already in, so we had to deal with that as well. Ended up with a floating wood border and he picked out this carpet after it. (the wood) was installed.

Attached Files:

2. Lo Down

Here's what I did to make the pattern run straight down the transitions. I row cut the edges first so I could see more accurately where the pattern would eventually end up. It needed to be even, so I did my usual overkill. I put blue tape at an equal distance away..... and around the wood as well as the tile. This gave me something very definitive to stretch to.... I mean if I stretched the row cut edges to the far side of the tape on all sides........ it simply had to come out even everywhere, and it did. The pattern size fit perfectly on almost all edges.

Attached Files:

3. Lo Down

OK, now onto the main subject.
    I showed this before, but not everyone has probably seen it. You know when you tuck carpet in against tile..... and as you slide it down into the gully, it shoves off a row, or on very rough tile and stone, it will abrade the carpet edge as it is pushed down against the rough surface? This is how I do it. Why shove against a rough surface and pound it in, when you can easily slide the carpet in there? ... and without damaging the edge of the backing in the process. The pics are pretty self explanitory..... after trimming the edge, insert the spreader...5" , 12" or whatever works best. Now use the stair tool to slide the edge into the gully. By using this method, you can even set the tackstrip closer than normal since most of the friction is now gone from the process.

The spreader alone works as a better 'stair tool' for tucking against the smooth wood transition molding. ... especially so when you set the tackstrip closer to make a good edge on a thinner piece of goods like this.

I shimmed the tackstrip up to create the best looking and feeling transition edge. Shimming gives us more room to tuck the carpet into, and in turn, we can tuck more carpet into the gully for a more durable edge....... a win win.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2006
  4. Lo Down

The use of a spreader is also the best way to start a new run of carpet on a stairway......... berber like this, or long fuzzy stuff.... makes a neat edge. This way, you don't have to fight tucking the carpet against carpet, cause it slides gently and neatly in there............. like butta, iI tell you, like butta!

Attached Files:

5. Lo Down

Here's the stair shot again... looks even better right side up. :zzz:

Attached Files:

6. Tex

Tex Charter Member

Beautiful work

7. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

And great tutorial presentation. Thank you Lo Down.

8. Floorguy

Floorguy The Living Dead Charter Member Senior Member

Looks great, Did you run a bead of latex in the tucking gully?

And I even put a bead on the tackstrip where the fartherest row of pins lye

9. Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas Charter Member Senior Member

That's almost as good as Chuck could do it Randy. :dance: You are very talented. :good:

10. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Oh man, nice show & tell, Randy. I must be laggin'. This old dog learned somthin' new today. Thanks.

Jim

11. Lo Down

Depending on the circumstances, Yes, but I don't run a bead of latex in the gully. I protect the laminate or tile edge with blue tape, then perform a slightly messy method of applying the latex.......... similar to what one does when latexing a seam edge, but I get it under the edge and onto the backing.
    By raising the tackstrip, which allows tucking more carpet down into the gully, and using the methods I showed I don't believe the latex is necessessary everywhere, so I use it in the traffic areas. A weaker or less stable backing that this one would be reason to latex everywhere. This had a good, flexable and well adhered backing on it...... not one of those crumbly 'dirt' filled backings that start to unravel when you just look at it. Yes, I latex, but do so on a per job basis...... always in traffic areas.

The home is and has been under construction/remodel for a couple of years. The area in the competed photo shows two pieces of plywood on the floor. These will have a dividerof some kind installed, one each side of the room. The ugly gold metal will protect the edge until he decides on flooring for the rest of the house...... it's a work in progress...... by a single guy. He's content with the plywood for now. :eek:

12. Lo Down

Couldn't have done this one over at FCI, that's why I like the newer websites......... especially the brand newest web forum. :D
    My computer has more capabilities than that place does.......... not that I know how to use them tho. :coffee:

13. Darren Ramey

Darren Ramey Charter Member I Support TFP

That really does work well. I did it today tucking a Wilton to tile. Not only does it make it easier to tuck but it makes it a cinch to apply latex to the edge and not worry about getting it everywhere. You don’t have to squirt it in the gully, the spreader holds the carpet in the perfect position to apply it and tuck.

14. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member Senior Member

I remember when you posted this elsewhere, and I tried it out, and have used it ever since. If I didn't say it before, thanks, and great job!

15. Lo Down

Yup, that's what I do. I get some under the backing and not just on the edge. I pre apply the blue tape along the hard surface you are tucking against, helps in reducing the mess.
    Glad to hear it's it has helped you guys. I have used this method for a looooong time. I should have shared it earlier.