trim carpet tile frizzes?

Discussion in 'Carpet Q&A' started by TwoStar, Apr 25, 2017.

1. TwoStar

TwoStar Maybe Three

I have a job that I have been asked to look at that has 18x18 carpet tiles. They are very plain looking tiles that are fraying all around them. I have seen this in many tile jobs, but when the tiles have no real pattern, it looks hideous. I tried using a scissors which would require about 20 hours, and carpal tunnel surgery soon after. I also tried my electric beard trimmer. It worked but I don't think it would last long. So...the question is, is there a trimmer for problems like this in the industry, or at least tell me what you guys do when this happens.

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Go to Tractor Supply and get a dog clipper, no guide needed. They work great!:yesss:

I have made some good money doing this.

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Why are carpet tiles raveling ? Are they not defective or do they want installers to now seal around perimeter of each? Let me guess maybe improper vacuum or walking across in wrong direction?

4. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Elmer's advice is sound. As a Two Star company you shouldn't ever need to purchase such equipment. But a 5 Star company would certainly have that sort of thing on hand.

No way to charge the labor costs back to the manufacturer. Sometimes it's more trouble than it's worth. MOST of the time it's more trouble than it's worth to try to push problems back to the manufacturer. But carpet tile that are fraying isn't in any possible way the fault of the installation.

It's worth a phone call/Email and MENTION to the sales rep and tech rep how easy it is to sway sales toward their competition. That works a lot better when you're a commercial shop that does millions in sales per year. But it SHOULD have at least some influence even for a modest retail operation that does relatively negligible volume in the commercial world. They still value their reputation and you could stink it up for them if your case is a valid one and they fail to respect the claim.

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

From the sound of your post, it is not even your job. If you estimate 20 hours with scissors, it will take 6-7 with a clipper. Hire a kid to go with you, have him go ahead of you and follow behind with a vacuum. Done in 1/2 day, charge your daily rate and everybody is happy.

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

Is it just a bandaid fix though?

7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

The carpet tiles I installed in our Church is doing the same thing. I think when they make the tiles they stamp out the squares and there are some longer yarns that eventually work up with vacuuming. I have trimmed a few but my fingers can only last at that 15 minutes.