Transitioning with existing hardwood

Discussion in 'Solid and Engineered Hardwood Q&A' started by BigEv, May 9, 2019.

1. BigEv

BigEv Member

I have an interesting and somewhat complicated issue. I am looking to extend onto my existing hardwood floors (3/4)
    2 1/4 inch planks. The hardwood runs through my dining room and hallway, the kitchen sits back farther than the living room where the hardwood meets the vinyl in the kitchen and carpet in the living room. How do I figure out how to get them to meet each other perfectly where the kitchen and living room meet at the wall??

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

You may need a diagram to help picture your situation for some assistance.

3. BigEv

BigEv Member

Pictures attached. See how the wood in the dining room sits back farther than the hallway. I want to extend off the rooms and run it throughout. Getting them to meet at the middle wall is the issue.

Attached Files:

4. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Getting boards to meet around obstacles like that is difficult even for a lot of pros. It takes careful planning, preparation and layout. If you are the average DIYer, my suggestion would be to do your best to smooth and level all the floors, pull the last board at each transition area to give yourself a clean, full-width board, then pick the one that is the most visible and start from there. You most likely will not meet the other transition with a full-width new board, so plan to trim or add a filler strip to make that meetup. After you sand and finish, no one will be the wiser.

5. BigEv

BigEv Member

The issue is that I would start where the existing floor ends and I want to plan to meet at the wall in the middle. If you look at the picture the rooms end at different points making it more channeling.

6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

More challenging? Sorry, but it's still not clear to me what you are wanting to do. Are you going to install new/same hardwood in the kitchen vinyl area? Are you going to install new/same hardwood in the carpeted area? If yes to both, that's what I thought you meant and what my previous reply addressed. If not, then please be specific.

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

From what I see, you would remove the carpet, vinyl and strike a long line, offset maybe 3 ft past that fridge wall parallel with the hardwood. I’m not sure if both measurements will be the same if you strike lines off the hardwood or use one of the living(family?) room exterior walls. Technically they should be the same. So this long struck line will be used to constantly measure off of in like 3 row increments in the kitchen, one to stay straight, two, to tighten or loosen the rows to dial in the measurements from the hallway.

Then when the hardwood in kitchen is brought to same row as hall the measurement to the long chalk line should be the same distance. And the rows can then be brought out further to match when it hits the kitchen fridge end wall. That chalk line is used all the way down that left side, it may not be square with the wall, usually only minor tweaking can occur, straight boards do not want to curve like a highway. Constant Measuring is critical, when you get confident/cocky and stop measuring is when things can go wrong and it’s usually too late to fix. This is just an overview, you need to take it slow, question your moves, check, recheck to make sure everything jives.

8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Start working the boards from the corridor out into the living room, through the kitchen and then back to the doorway in the dining room where you will likely have to modify the width of some boards to meet up flush. This will involve "rip cuts" on a table saw on as many rows of boards as is necessary to correct the gap. The boards that are ripped will need new tongue/groove cuts that will be made with a router.

Another option is to come out from the dining room, laying the kitchen and then through to the living room------making the same sort of transition at the corridor opening, if necessary. The only way to find out if those areas could be aligned without the rip cuts and router work on new tongue and grooves would be to dry fit the areas to be aligned. That's a little extreme. A pro would just handle the "cut backs" into the doors as needed. You make any cuts in the doorways so it's a minimal degree of rips and router work.

9. BigEv

BigEv Member

Thanks Mike and Incognito for the tips. I did plan on having to rip cut a board in between the doorway of the kitchen as I planed on starting off the corridor by the living room. Lots of planning and measuring ahead.

10. BigEv

BigEv Member

If I come off of the living room corridor, when I hit the center wall should I use a spline and go in the opposite direction back towards the dining room? I thought about laying it out and measuring to see if somehow I could get them to meet at the corner perfectly ?