Transitioning from vinyl plank to carpet

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Dabull25, Jan 11, 2019 at 2:45 PM.

1. Dabull25

Dabull25 Member

im about to start installing vinyl plank in the back half of my basement. The front half is carpet that I need to transition to. It’s being installed over tile. I’m lost about the transition from one floor to the other. There was a black vinyl transition strip there and the track it was attached to is hooked to the carpet. See pictures. How would you do this transition?

Attached Files:

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

You could just use the same thing. Or you could get one to match your lvp

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dabull25

Dabull25 Member

The strip that was installed won’t work. The change in floor height on the tile side causes it to stick up. I purchased the matching vinyl reducer but track is to low for it to click in. See photo.

Attached Files:

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

You can get one that has the longer fin that locks in.

5. Dabull25

Dabull25 Member

6. Steve Olson

Steve Olson Hardwood/Laminate Guru Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What type vinyl plank? A floating type or glue down. The thickness makes a difference. If its a glue down, then what Mrk told you is correct, those rubber trims come in different leg lengths, so get on that works, If its a floating plank, then hold the LVP back from the tile enough that you can use a reducer, from the LVP to the carpet, which would be backwards from the normal install.

7. Dabull25

Dabull25 Member

It’s a floating plank. I’d ideally like to use the matching reducerthat I bought but the bottom fin isn’t long enough for the floor gap.

8. Chris 45

Chris 45 Director of P.R. on some deserted island. I Support TFP

Floor covering supply store or maybe even online if nothing is reasonably located to you. Roppe, Johnsonite and maybe a couple other manufacturers make snap track inserts in varying profiles and colors. You’re looking at maybe $10 or so for a new insert.

9. Steve Olson

Roppe, Mercer, Burke make them. NOT going to find them at Home Depot, try a flooring supply store.

If your installing the vinyl plank over an existing floor that was level with your carpet, it isn't going to work in the normal manner, reduce it from the vinyl plank, down to the carpet, it will still be higher, but have rounded edge, as I tried to describe to you in my last post.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dabull25

Dabull25 Member

Right, I get that it will need to be reduced but I cant understand why they made the bottom fin so short for a reducer. I thought about filling in the track that’s currently installed and glueing down the new track on top of it to raise it up. Is that a bad idea?

11. Steve Olson

That is made for reducing your floor down to the height you laid it over. So, use the new track, but it needs to over hang the carpet enough to hide the old track. You may have a problem given the width of that metal track used for those reducers. Sometimes those plastic trim pieces jut dont fit the given situation, in those cases, I look for a complimentary color in a prefinished wood trim for hardwood flooring. Hard surface reducer is what its called.

12. Barry Carlton

Barry Carlton I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Here's what you do.....Remove the existing track/channel. Get or make a piece of wood/mdf the same thickness as the LVP. Rip it to the same width as the track/channel that the reducer snaps into. Glue it to the concrete. weight it if necessary (probably). Cut the reducer and the channel
    that came with it to length. Snap them together. Glue that to the wood spacer you installed. Weight it if necessary (probably). Hey, look at that, you're done!! :cool:

13. Dabull25

Dabull25 Member

I was thinking of this but the carpet is attached to the track...what should I do about that?

14. Mark Brown

Release it from the track. If there is actually any stretch on it (highly unlikely given the state of the industry) it may require a wee bunt back. If it is installed like 99% of the carpet i see, lift it off the pins and staple it back into the new wood block piece, after removing the track of course.

15. Barry Carlton

What Mark said. but rip the spacer piece of wood approx. 1 1/2" wide the attach the cpt to the overhanging amount of the wood. (Staples, contact, hot glue, PL)

16. Mark Brown

Barry... Come on now buddy :)

17. Barry Carlton

Short for Please ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Dabull25

Dabull25 Member

What if I just filled in the space with a cement compound and glued the new track to that?

19. Barry Carlton

Doable but really more time and work that the wood spacer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mark Brown

I love that you just used doable...

My journeyman and myself use to say "the doability is high on this one"

Made me laugh