Training for 2015

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Elmer Fudd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

What are your plans for 2015 training and why?

How much have you budgeted?

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I'd like to add that, if you know of training scheduled for your area, please start a new topic in this forum to tell us all about it. From my experience, training attendance was always lower that the sponsor had hoped. That was usually because the word didn't get around. You can help with that.

Jim

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I want to go to Ardex training in Pennsylvania, to take a few courses, definitely self levelers, and decorative concrete coatings.
    Why- to increase efficiency, product knowledge, and to hear the official word and direct questions to manufacturer.

4. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Let me know when as I want to go also.

Any others??

5. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Ardex has training in GA to Mike

6. Mike Antonetti

When I went to Mapei training, it was at their N.A. Headquarters, Schluter was at hotel down there also, they had a lot of stuff with them. Although it would be cheaper travel, not going to main office I really don't want to hear any excuses for all out training, compressed class, less hands on.
    I do have to (celebrate)let my 10th anniversary go by so it won't be till at least March.

7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Those were really cool trainings Mike. I know you'll appreciate them more than I did. I don't LOVE the Ardex moisture control systems that want you to "broadcast" a silica sand over the epoxy to create a porous bonding surface rather than use their EXPENSIVE and time consuming non-porous surface primer. But the decorative coatings was super neat stuff. The guy who was showing us at the apprenticeship school was really an artisan. I don't think I could ever master that craft but it was really impressive stuff that I'm sold on. It WILL be a great $$racket$$ if you can master it.

8. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Mandatory CQM training.....two days in San Diego ASAP for our military contracts.

I'm evidently the Construction Quality Control Manager.......

as well as the Site Safety and Health Officer.

all these years I thought I was JUST an installer

9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Just a mid summer dealer meeting for Vortex for me. Not too expensive to get there and maybe win stuff again for my business.

10. Mike Antonetti

I'll use the polishing training for mostly just to have the knowledge, knowing where to apply, recommend, etc. Also if it's even feasible from an afterthought considering slabs were just dropped in and moved along, overwatered etc.
    Picking products for proper application and then having it available will make life easier.
    One local small supplier carries a pallet of featherfinish but every other product is from 2 or 3 different manufacturers.

11. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

There are a lot of those types of classes at WOC this year. I wish I could go to some of the cracking concrete classes.

12. Mike Antonetti

I agree the conventions are fantastic for learning, certifications classes as well if it doesn't interfere with the rest of what's going on.
    Lesson I learned in parade when I was in middle school band, you can't watch the parade when your in it.

13. Majwoody

Majwoody Pro Member

I would like to attend an ardex class this year at a minimum. I think that and my college courses should give me my fill. I would like more training surface prep and products that are available to us.

14. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

I was happy to see that Nate shared some training information for a couple of events in Wisconsin and one at Surfaces. That is a very important function of this forum, "Industry Training & Organizations" at TFP.

I am pleading with all of you to do the same. We all promote training and proper procedures in our daily posts on TFP, so I assume you all are aware of any local/regional training that takes place in your areas. Please keep us informed. Dates, times, a synopsis and the reward for those attending (certification, etc.). If you have a PDF flier, you can use the upload system to share that just like pictures. I am willing to help, if you just ask.

This kind of information is part of what makes TFP one of the best resources for flooring professionals on the Net. Help keep that tradition up.

Thanks,

Jim

15. Mike Antonetti

Ardex, Mapei and Schluter have continual classes throughout the year. You could probably go every three years and learn new products and procedures.