Training course

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by mcurrin, Dec 5, 2014.

1. mcurrin

mcurrin Charter Member Published

I found this site through linked-in, thought it might be of interests to some here. Sorry if it has already been posted.

Flooring Academy of Specialized Training

a unique way of looking at the installer problem. (not my page)

Mike

2. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

It's pretty disingenuous to present those figures of $70K in the first year out and eventually $100-150K------GROSS income. Kind of reminds me of all the high school and college athletes aspiring to those million dollar MLB, NFL or NBA contracts. Sure, SOMEBODY wins the lottery every week.

Off the top of my head the Bureau of Labor Statistics and other sources put carpet layers nationally at barely $20 an hour or something around $25-30K annually.

THAT's actually why the industry has a low quality work force-----and ESPECIALLY low quality "helpers" entering the field.

If you give me "the best helper ever" out of this one month school and I'm a residential carpet layer how much EXTRA income could this "kid" really generate? Can that AWESOME helper get you to the 2nd or 3rd job in a day? What's the program going to say about how much I pay him?

How does that work?

3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I think it's great that a helper will make twice as much as me.
    The two interviews were hurting me, why the fork in the background?
    The pay is low I'll say that right now, I see it everywhere, installers with the crappiest trucks, etc.
    What if it's all a lie, like an infomercial, why not just flip house scam?
    What if I don't want it to succeed?

4. TwoStar

TwoStar Maybe Three

So THAT'S what it takes to make money! Whew, my wife's been on my back to keep us up with the Wal-mart assistant manager's family that lives across the street from me. He's got a boat and two four wheelers, and a camper at the lake...and we sit on the porch scratching our heads.

Of course, I have a boat-and-2-four-wheeler's worth of trailer and tools. I prefer the tools over the lake, though. :) Does that make me insane?:eek:

5. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Lol yea be a installer in 30 days
    No wonder over half of the work I see looks like crap or is coming up Was on a job a few days ago and the slab was wet it was sweating real bad so we could not do our floors but the VCT guy was running a shop vac to pick up the water and then tossing dry Portland on the floor and trying to dry it up ...... Well after about 30 min or so him and his helper was troweling in the glue I wonder how long that will last

6. Bud Cline

Bud Cline Tile Expert Charter Member Senior Member Published

I can't find any information on FAST.

I have Googled it in several forms, I could only think of about eight ways to phrase it and I got nothing.

The only thing that did show up was Don Barrett on a LinkedIn page of some kind.

• How long has this training school been in existence?
    • Are they totally "tuition supported" or are there industry entities sponsoring the project?
    • Where are the "scholarship" dollars coming from?
    • Who are the trainers/teachers and where do they come from?

I think the "train the apprentice" idea could some merit. But, to suggest to a trainee that he can earn $70K in about a year is kind of worrisome, how can that be?

If I had known all of you carpet installers were earning $70K+ per year I would have stayed in carpet a long time ago. What do you guys spend all of that money on anyway?:D

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Don,t sell this guy short! He has been around
    Wellco Carpet
    Harbinger Carpet
    Amoco Fiber
    Home Depot Corprate
    ProSource Director of Training
    Prince Street
    Etc.

He appears to know his stuff.
    The school is not open yet, mid 2015 projected.

8. Mike Antonetti

I watched both videos, he said Kobalt, so right there I knew was a sponsor, carpet one, their pitching in, good. It's true no young people are getting in trade, I wouldn't recommend it either.

9. Incognito

Let's get real for a minute. Carpet laying has gone the way of drywall, roofing, landscaper, farm worker, restaurants, hotel staff, domestic help........

Jobs Americans Wont Do is the way I like to understand it.

That's the nicest way I can put it. One big balled superintendent told me once: "Where I come from WHITE PEOPLE don't do your kind of work." What do you suppose he meant by that folks?

I'm not making this up Elmer and you know damn well what I'm getting at. So some 30-day training is going to draw in...........better quality men?

Not without a DOUBLING or TRIPLING of the price paid per square yard.

That's the name of that tune.

10. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

30 days not enough for proper training. 70K can be done as a carpet installer but takes years to get there. As a residential installer I find not much money in carpet jobs for help unless hard surface is involved and then things will balance out.

11. Chux1214

Chux1214 Pro Member

Well hmm. I'm 24 and I've been at this for 7ish year. When will I start making that 70k a year? I'm barely breaking the 20k mark, I'm a young guy and there aren't many guys my age doing this, one my generation is fairly lazy and is settling on being burger flippers and 95% of them have no pride or honor in what they do. I'm only rivaled by the older guys that are still around and the illegals that are willing to work for half of my already crapy salary.

12. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

I watched all three video's. He has one more. He states that Carpet One has lined up. Not true as of yet. If you listen Lowes has not line up. They told him, it had to be the work room.
    Now, I would love to see something like this work.
    Listen to Don again and he is training them to become thier own crew, now my question is. Why would you take the guy or gai,l finish training them for them to leave after a year? That is what he is saying. For them to make the kind of money he states they need to go out on thier own.

13. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

If you read his profile on Linkedin you will see he works for Keller Interiors as a recruiter/trainer. Now who is Keller Interiors you ask?

Keller Interiors Inc.

They are a hybrid in the industry, workroom/retailer/labor contractor. They have 12 locations in bigger cities, furnishing installation services for Home Depot. To serve that kind of market they need a large labor pool to draw from. Plus they will also stock some material and furnish a complete package to builders and developers.
    Having access to these 12 locations is why he can offer placement for the graduates of his classes.
    On to the matter of compensation.......the statement is made that within a year they could be grossing $100,00 or more. I don't know for certain, but some of the HD contractors are paying the crews $3 a yd. At $450 a day, six days a week they would be grossing over $110,000, but now they pay for tools/truck/a helper(sorry apprentice)/insurance/taxes and that soon looks like $25-30K.

Would I like to see something like this work, OH YEA. Do I think it will work, NO. I don't see it as a sustainable venture, in the long term.

14. Mike Antonetti

They have no choice but to do this, they need installers everywhere, based on false promises.
    Placement what a joke.
    It doesn't pass TFP's knowledgable critics so far.

15. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I would love for it to work but in 30 days no way....

When I came up as a helper you had to show the installer you was helping that you wanted to learn and they would teach you and it was done right.

Any more its just toss it in and let the owners deal with it :(
    So much that a lot of the bigger jobs are going to polished concrete.

Over the years we get more calls for just a grind and a sealer in places cause the owners are just getting tired of the stuff coming up or not holding up to foot traffic. Was just in a new Racetrac gas station and the tile floor looked like crap high's lows and the grout was as if they used way to much water at clean up. :mad:

16. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

6 months maybe, 30 days no way. One thing they're not addressing is the challenges that arise that a professional must assess and deal with. Sometimes the seemingly impossible is asked and there is NO WAY that someone with even a really good training can take that on unless they have had plenty of experience in the field.

17. Mike Antonetti

They can save you 15% on car insurance though.

18. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

A couple of things scare me about this. The big claims, the fees, grammatical errors on the website, and a claim that your hotel is FREE with your fees. They are already assuming you are a little bit on the dumb side. For example, the website makes great claims about how much you will be making with no student loans. Then click over to the scholarships and cost page and there is a student loan section to help people afford the training. Come on.

19. Incognito

BECAUSE the numbers they're using to sell the program aren't honest numbers-------at least they're not applicable to the majority of installers in the majority of markets.

When the apprentices bump their heads against reality-------barely subsistence TAKE HOME PAY, very hard work, little control over the schedule which means long hours, week ends, holidays-----then it's slow and it's weeks or months with marginal cash flow.

We lose our apprentices by the dozens when the shops can't give them 40 hours+. That's almost every year for the smaller shops like the one I work at. Apprentices simply don't make near enough to save for the rainy day and out of desperation to house and feed their families they are forced to find work elsewhere. Usually it's a slightly higher pay, steady but with little or no upside potential. Warehouse, factory, truck driver, other more steady trades or service jobs all pay slightly more to start out----BECAUSE that's pretty much where you'll be 25 years later in that line of work.

My advice to "kids" wanting to learn this trade is to gear toward hard surface like marble, stone, hardwood, or commercial work if they can find it. If they could get into a program like this I'd recommend going ahead and spend that 6 months to get fairly proficient. Then get out of carpet and learn viny, wood, ceramic. Don't get STUCK on carpet.

20. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Very true on the above post a lot of my buddy's that did carpet and VCT are now doing high end homes or stone / marble and are doing a lot better they say