Trailer tires

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment and Supplies' started by Don Monfils, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Don Monfils

Don Monfils PRO CARPET Charter Member

A2DDC84C-ACC1-4A73-ACB4-7DC793BFCB69.jpeg Man I go through tires on my trailer.
    I replaced 2 this summer and now have to get 2 for the other side tomorrow.
    The insides get rounded over to the point that the steel belts start to stick out.
    I have to drive on the Thruway for a job on Wednesday. Don’t want to have a blowout going 75mph.

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Either the camber of your axle is out of whack or you are severely overloaded. You should not be wearing the inside like that, take it to an alignment shop.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Mine do not wear like that, I do favor a certain turning method, I think it’s left, so front left,right rear due to the way the dual axles pivot. Your trailer is an 18 ft? I now conscientiously make wider turns to reduce wear, even when I disconnect and drive truck.

So I have a utility trailer I was looking at the tires on it. I will get new tire to replace oldest tire on rim, D rated tires from tire kingdom is @ 120$ balanced. Chinese made but they only need to last me two years before their worn to my comfort level, usually about 1/32” on one side. Couldn’t bring myself to dump at a construction debris landfill the other day, I don’t like plugs in my tires.

Elmer, I asked a few times about an alignment on my trailer, they seem to disregard. I’ve told a landscaper at a stoplight his trailer was riding sideways. I’m sure they have a tire issue.

4. Don Monfils

I’ve had 5 trailers since 1997.
    The current one is 8’6x20’ torsion suspension, dual 500# axels.
    Each one has done this after approximately 1 year or about 20,000 miles

5. Mike Antonetti

Mines torsion also, park one axle on an incline and the other axle is off the ground for easy tire changing. I figured leafs were better but it’s my first cargo dual axle. 20k seems like a good run, you really need 20ft trailer? When I was doing carpet I was going to get a 14 ft with longer angled V for 15 ft rolls but never materialized.

6. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Administwative Asst. Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

And there is the issue, dual 500# axles. The trailer weighs 500 and ya probably got 1000# of tools. Then add a bunch of rug and you are way overweight.That will bow or bend a light duty axle, so after 20K it will wear the tires. I suggest a heavy duty trailer with at least a 5K rating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

On the 5th camper I run
    ST Radial M8008 | Maxxis Tires USA
    They cost about 200.00 a pc but well worth it the trailer after I load the dirt bikes all the camping gear and fuel and water comes in at 13,700 lbs

8. Don Monfils

They are dual 5000 lb. ( not 500 my bad) most trailers run 3500 lb. axels.

9. Dan Schultz

Dan Schultz Certified Wood Floor Inspector Charter Member

Pulling gooseneck flatbeds for delivering flooring we had tire and wheel bearing issues until we went to a dual wheel, 14,000#, single axle trailer. The wheel bearings ran in oil, similar to semi trailers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Don Monfils

0784498D-E083-4AF9-A12D-75088E59F30D.jpeg Back in business

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mike Antonetti

Looks like same exact tread pattern as my Power Kings from TK. I don’t let mine run down that low, but maybe I’ll go a little lower now I saw yours. I like to replace prior to rainy season.

Attached Files:

12. Don Monfils

Yeah, I like to run them right down until they are racing slicks.
    That way I feel like i got my money’s worth. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1