top of engineered hardwood floor ripping off

Discussion in 'Cleaning, Maintenance & Restoration' started by JeanLouise, Feb 17, 2019.

1. JeanLouise

JeanLouise New Member

We have lived in our home for less than a year and the previous owner had only lived here for 9 months, but the top layer of one of our hickory engineered floor panels is flaking/ripping off. It is by the front door, but has been pretty much covered by a floor mat since we got here. While one whole piece is off in the photos, you can see that a lot of around the knot is flaking and will clearly come off soon.

Any ideas about what is causing this or what we can do to fix it? It isn't happening anywhere else, yet, but there are a lot of other panels with knots. 20190217_075839.jpg

2. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

Let’s see the mat, bottom. Could be trapping moisture. But sills usually leak as well.

Somehow I got conned (not really) into remove and repair a door entry that leaked, looking at Tuesday and repair following week. At first customer was having me remove 4x8 section and they were putting stone down referred by a stone guy, now it’s just replace rotten boards. Is the leak fixed? Probably not but I’ll silicone all under wall and sill then apply moisture barrier/adhesive one step. Water will just go elsewhere if it’s not blocked from outside source. Rain/wrong pitch exterior entry.

3. JeanLouise

JeanLouise New Member

I don't think it is from the sill. The door does go directly outside, and we get a lot of moisture tracked in there, but the panels closest to the door aren't doing this. At least not yet. It could be the door mat. It is just a cheap one from the hardware store. What kind of mat should we get and what can we do about the damage?

4. Mike Antonetti

Something outside raised and open so water will separate from shoe bottom. On inside Mat it needs to breathe so vapor can pass through it. So all that can do inside is remove remaining water prior to being placed directly onto hardwood. For repair fine sanding and a tinted Urethane to reduce visibility.

5. JeanLouise

JeanLouise New Member

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

If you have leftover boards - attic stock - I would replace that board. You didn't say if the floor was on concrete slab or wood frame subfloor. Slabs can have moisture issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Could have been a thin grain from sanding that just came off eventually. Needs replaced or just cover it with a rug. Out of site, out of mind.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. JeanLouise

JeanLouise New Member

It is wood subfloor with radiant heating. I thought you couldn't just replace one board, unless it was on the edge. This one is about 3 boards in. We are thinking about replacing the whole area in front of the door with tile or stone. We are almost positive it isn't coming in from the sill. We think it is more likely that moisture got under the door mat.

9. Mike Antonetti

Radiant heat trapped may also contribute to the issue with the mat and heat being trapped.