Tool Draft

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Video Collection' started by Ken Fisher, May 10, 2014.

1. Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher Charter Member

Any feedback on this? I would appreciate it. Guys at my place don't get involved at all:(:(

It's a draft, so it will change...

Note: Had a hard time getting a story line. You should get the idea once you see it. Had I known about this coming up I would have bought a new blade for these guys, but I never know what's happening until I get to the job for the most part. Poor planning which I have very little control over at the moment.

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

In time, you should be able to get tool manufacturers or vendors to provide the tools. A tool that looks new and cuts well will generate sales. And pre-planning will help you avoid those videos where you have to explain what you did wrong instead of explaining how to avoid problems and do it right.

This was the first time I've seen a multi-function tool used like that. I would have liked to see more of it. Was it used under the toekick also? How was it held, what blade, etc.?

Thanks for sharing your videos with us, Ken.

Jim

3. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I don't get it. I have a crain toe kick saw just like that one from chicago. It takes a steady cut to not have it jump and take your arm off.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I don't get your role, you are making the video?
    I see a whole bunch of input.
    There's the crain toekick saw 795 ? A new model 790?( unsure) then there's the harbor freight knockoff , they sell the blades and also there is a diamond blade(when removing tile to install hardwood) I thought and posted that the Crain diamond blade wouldn't work on the harbor freight saw but it will, the four holes are offset (2 pins) slightly, just rotate it to next two holes and it fits in.
    I want a metal plate to go against the faceplate while cutting to avoid damage to solid wood cabinets.
    Granite countertops may crack if you don't cut around cabinets when flooring is installed underneath.
    I like the saw, their not too fast of rpm so it is somewhat controllable, I always sit directly in line with the tool so kickbacks go to the right side, preventing it from binding should be part of focus as well as preventing damage to cabinets.

And it looks like the hardwood was cut parallel to cabinets for ripup, could've just used the toekick and not need the circular saving time/etc.

5. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I use a piece of formica up against the toe kicks to prevent damage.

6. Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher Charter Member

Really, really appreciate the feedback guys!

Formica. Perfect

Mike:

My role is producer, camera, lighting, voice, and editing guy. I'm doing everything, but it will probably reach a point I cannot do it all. It's about building this site. You've all probably heard by now the term content marketing; articles on blogs etc. This is more like articles in video, or telling a story with video marketing. The concept is an unknown in the flooring industry in my opinion...at this point in time. It's also about exposure for those doing the work and I'm not charging a fee whatsoever, because there are other marketing angles I'm working on.

My eventual goal is huge. Hundreds of videos on one platform (website) where people won't need to stay on YouTube. It's about consistency and quality from one video to the next and not hunting through the rubbish on YouTube.

Your thoughts are good and make sense!

kw:

Agreed, but you probably had a sharper blade. The Chicago also has a 1 HP motor where the Crain has a 2 1/2 I believe...maybe it doesn't make that big of a difference? The operator was inexperienced too.

Jim:

Actually a saw saw was used in the corners but I felt it didn't look appropriate. Almost like a hatchet being brought to fix a problem. That too had a dull blade. The whole thing looked very unprofessional to me. I should have highlighted the tools like I did in the stairs video, but I have another problem with doing that.

There are four guys working these jobs. They all have their own duties when we hit a job. I really can't stop them all for 30 minutes to prepare and shoot a scene. I try my best to see if I can keep them busy in another location...but they'll walk into the scene or in front of the lights that messes things up. Then they sometimes get way ahead of me and I miss a great part of the story/application that's gone forever.

Don't get me wrong. I'm thankful I can finally get on jobs to create these "stories," but it really needs a one person type setup like the refinishing stairs video. In that one all the other guys were in another part of the house sanding/finishing 1,000 sf and I had quality time with Justin to pull off what I thought was my best video so far.

The ideal shoot is with one quality guy and being able to see the job before the actual work day or at least an hour before the work begins. Or to actually know the details about the job! That way I can organize it far better.

About That Exposure

Not only during the video but on the site.

I have many other ideas I haven't touched.

Thanks again!