Too Hard To Follow?

Discussion in 'Floorcovering Video Collection' started by Ken Fisher, May 16, 2014.

1. Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher Charter Member

I've been trying to put something together that shows the difference between a butt to hardwood or lace in job, but I think it may be too difficult for someone unfamiliar to follow.

Your thoughts?

I love to pick on the big box stores and LL. They've really messed things up thinking anyone can do any type of hardwood floor project.

Draft...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLCSWGQcXBo"]draft2 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Jim McClain

Jim McClain Owner/Founder Administrator

Kinda hard for me to critique for "followability" to a novice, but I think you did a decent job of explaining the differences and the difficulties. Maybe if you had tracked the camera around the wall to show the surprise of those gaps, it might have made a bigger impact on the novice viewer. Or maybe a loose layout of boards that are relatively tight to show how far off-register they would end up when they reached the tie-in point.

Hope that helps.

Jim

3. Ken Fisher

I actually didn't plan this video. The idea came to me after the fact. The gapped visual is actually from another job. I was trying to come up with what film clips and still photos I had to show the differences. I'll shelve it for a few weeks and see what else I can do with it.

Thanks Jim.

4. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti I Support TFP Senior Member

I like it , we've done about ten of those with prefinished, say 4 foot wide we charge about 200$, too cheap if you ask me.
    You come up with some rare stuff , way beyond basics.

5. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

The installers who've done some or lots of hardwood........or ANY flooring actually where you have to wrap around something and line up seams, patterns, tile lines, planks------will completely understand. I enjoyed watching.

I think your concern that it would be hard to follow for a non-professional is very valid. You do make it clear and explain it well enough why it's going to cost an extra buck or two but I suspect that's about all the novice can get from that video.

It wouldn't be an easy thing to REALLY clarify exactly what I think it is you're trying to highlight with the video. Probably not worth the effort to make this crystal clear to the non-pro. THAT would be a fairly long and tedious process. Why would they care?

6. Ken Fisher

That's partly because I don't have enough film material, or the jobs I've been on here in Detroit are all the same. Sand and finish strip floors, repairs here and there, stain and water based finish. The two jobs in the last video are the highlights of my visit really. I was expecting more variety like a wide plank hand scraped install and maybe a Rubio site finished job as an example. Prefinished too!! The kind of popular products people are using today.

If anyone out there has some interesting jobs coming up I'm all for paying a visit, but you'd have to be in the Atlanta area or down in SW Florida, or pay my expenses while I'm there. Good opportunity to get some video on your site for a great price. Professional video production companies would be asking anywhere from $500- 1,500 per minute of finished film, but they don't know how to produce flooring video. You would have to spend hours upon hours hand holding them.

I've been adding a few here and there to Al Havners website...It really works as far as becoming very transparent on the web.

Here's an example...it could use more branding of his business, but it shows his guys at work...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLLHwRXN8b8"]Al Havner Hardwood Flooring Metro Detroit Michigan - YouTube[/ame]

I could tailor them anyway you want...within reason

Incognito:

It was more about the change in camera/photo angles throwing it off making it hard to follow. Apparently not from the comments so far.

7. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  8. Ken Fisher

Like I've said in numerous forums over the years. Everyone handles jobs different. I'm very watchful about that and I know there will be opinions all the time. These guys cut in with a brush (not seen in the video), but I do like the idea of pads. One guy I spent some time with last summer was a freaking artist with a T-bar (pic below). No need for any cutting in with most areas. Personally I don't know how he did it.

Yikes, now someone will probably say..."look at all that finish that went down the HVAC vent..." A few drips here and there.

I was rather surprised they were actually using a roller, but with my limited knowledge of actual floor finishing, some manufacturers are suggesting it's use? Maybe it's oil based finishes and not water. I don't know because they use a pad for water base instead of a T-Bar that I think speeds up the work and probably creates a better flow? It all goes back to how everyone does things different or how they learned the trade, and what they're comfortable with.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2014