Tons of sun, large open space - Help!

Discussion in 'Help Selecting the Best Floor Covering' started by Banquopack, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Banquopack

Banquopack New Member

I thought I had it figured out, then found this awesome forum and am questioning my plan.

We are building a new house and can choose any flooring we want. Toooo Many Choices! I have attached the floor plan. Important details, I think:
    • Building in central Ohio
    • Back side of the house faces south with alllll the windows. I love windows. We will use something like Pella triple pane low-e to mitigate the sun a little bit.
    • Kitchen through to sunroom is about 60’
    • Full, walk-out basement underneath this floor
    • We plan on living in this house for the next 20 years. Lol - best laid plans and all.
    • We have young children
    • Cost-conscious , but willing to pay for long term quality
    I was all excited finding out about the rigid LVP and thought to use that across the whole back of the house. (Durable, water-resistant, easy care) With something like CoreTec plus tile-look in the laundry room entrance area. LVP was recommended in response to my concern about kitchen and greatroom fading. Specifically Casabella LVTplus FirmFit. Now I’m worried that the south sun could be too warm for LVP, physically. Gaps or buckling in the middle of the floor would drive me up the wall.

I’ve attached a photo of the flooring look we are going for.

I don’t want to be super sad and frustrated by my flooring. Help!

97B3A50A-7A61-4FF4-AB13-FEDE2C3336F7.jpeg 21FF27BA-A392-4511-B07F-E4CC40F9A51C.png

Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom.

2. Rob Ahlgrim

Rob Ahlgrim Pro Member

I have seen the best vinyls absolutely destroyed indirect sunlight, but almost always in small, tightly enclosed spaces. (Between blinds and windows close to the floor.) I don't know that I'd be TOO concerned with any big wide open areas, but why take that chance? If going with tile-lloking LVP, why not just go ceramic? So many styles and colors available now, and all but guaranteed to never fade, warp or buckle!

Just my opinion, but in a brand new construction, ceramic is the way I'd go.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveG

SteveG Pro Member

Agreed - vinyl and sunlight are not a long term combo. You might be ok, but with tile you WILL be ok.

Downsides of tile are it's cold, and it's hard. Dropping things on it, kids falling on it, etc - not as friendly as vinyl.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rob Ahlgrim

Rob Ahlgrim Pro Member

In-floor radiant heating takes care of that issue. My father-in-law has it throughout his entire main floor, wood and ceramic, and it is toasty warm to walk on year-round in bare feet or socks. (Michigan too, so winters are COLD!)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Banquopack

Banquopack New Member

Thank you. We want a wood look across the back where the windows are, and might consider tile with radiant heat. How would that compare in performance and cost to a solid wood floor? It’s looking like LVP should be eliminated from consideration.

6. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor Senior Member

I have two little boys (1 and 3) and After watching my oak floors take a beating, I’d go with hardwood or tile. Wood floors can be refinished, and the lifespan can be the life of the home if installed and maintained properly

• Like Like x 1
  7. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Porcelain tile or 3/4" solid hardwood

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Banquopack

Banquopack New Member

Thank you. Why do you prefer solid hardwood over engineered?

9. Incognito

Incognito No more Mr. Nice Guy! I Support TFP Senior Member

Either would work for your conditions but the solid COULD outlast you and your children.........and their children.

So it's about being CHEAP.

At heart, I'm a cheap SOB and I don't want to EVER have to replace flooring in a home. That's just me. Not only am I cheap, I'm also lazy so I think it's CRAZY to consider flooring that lasts only 10-20 years. I can't picture myself moving all that furniture and doing the demolition.

I know exacty what it costs and how to do it.

As they say about unhappy reationships.......

Cheaper to Keep 'er.

SOLID hardwood in a home could be refinished half a dozen times or more potentially as opposed to SCREEN AND RECOAT an engineered less times than that before you hit problems.

Solid hardwood is a lifetime investment.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Banquopack

Banquopack New Member

Im with you, there. I have no desire to tear out and replace the large, kitchen and furniture-filled area. What a pain.