toilet not sitting flush with the floor

Discussion in 'Ceramic and Stone Q&A' started by Punit Sinha, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Punit Sinha

Punit Sinha Member

Hi,
    After laying out out the tiles, I had a feeling that the toilet may have issues sitting flush with the floor, and yes, such was the case.

What I have done so far:-
    I removed old tile. The under layment was mud bed which I removed too.

I installed a new underlayment, Ditra waterproof membrane, and then I installed tiles over it, end result, the bathroom floor went down by about 1/2 inch

when I place the new toilet bowl I see that it is not sitting flush with the floor, but is about 1/4 inch above floor.

What are my options?

Attached Files:

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Remove the closet flange and drop it 3/4 or 1/2 inch on the drain line. Problem solved

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JayP

JayP Pro Member

What mark said is probably right but I don’t know enough about plumbing to confirm it. My first thought was to use toilet shims and put a bead of silicone around the base to cover the gap.

4. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Can't you stack pennies to do that? Seems I read it or seen it at one time.

:old:

Daris

5. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Why would you ever want to make some hokey repair to something that is a 10 min job?

Zip cutter and some abs Cement and a 4 dollar closet flange. On wood its a breeze, concrete, sometimes you have to cold chisel out an inch or two of the surround. Whooptidoo.

Last one i did was a for a lady with laminate in their bathroom, presumed a tenant ruined the floor from bathing, which would be a believable claim, until i removed the floor and found a cracked shimmed siliconed closet flange contraption. There was water everywhere from that mess and it was working its way UP through the flooring. It is an easy repair. Definitely easier than laying ceramic tile. Come on now.

It looks like in the picture the thing is already jacked up on some wood blocks. Knock them out and drop it down

• Like Like x 1
  6. I’m for that if the pipe diameter is not reduced. Some fit inside the pipe it just depends what you have.

I was told over time that the Flange should be flush with finish floor. There’s a recess under the bowl around 3/8” to crush the wax or use the newer Urethane/Rubber seals.

Normally grout would go underneath the bowl rim. I prefer @ 1/8” or less.

7. Agree with Mark. Cut the PVC . Will look a lot cleaner, then you can silicone or grout if you have any unevenness.

8. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Yep use a inside pvc cutter get a new flange then it will be flush with the floor

• Like Like x 1
  9. I bought a die grinder air one specifically for that. Only used maybe twice. I usually tell customers they need a plumber. Lots of cracked flanges where bolts go as it’s a weak point.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lazarus

Lazarus Pro Member

After all is said & done, the toilet flange should sit ATOP the finished floor. Yes, you can double ring the toilet to seal properly...but you may need to shim the terlit to make it lay flat (with no "rocking.")

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. They maybe should screw adjust height like shower drains. So many things built cheesy around residential buildings.

At the very least they should sit flat on substrate or slab. Too many variables in finish flooring for a generalization. Different decor changes with flooring in multiple heights make it impractical.

12. Do what mark said, do it right & be done with it.
    Shims & silicone are not the answer. That's a recipe for failure down the line.
    It's really an easy fix