Todays project: CFI backing chain

Discussion in 'Industry News, Training & Organizations' started by Daris Mulkin, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Daris Mulkin

Daris Mulkin The One and Only Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

I cut 300 pieces 3" x 6" of carpet for the CFI backing chain of which there are about 23 different backings on the chain.
    The guys that lay this stuff my hat is off to them. This crap don't cut for crap. At least 2-3 passes with a knife to cut it. Then on the end grain I used shears after I had already scribe cut it.
    Anyway can you tell me how to install it and what the name of it is? A hint its a Mohawk product.

Now all I have to do is number them all and punch holes in them for the chain. Maybe I can talk the wife into numbering them while I punch the hole.

:old:

Daris

Attached Files:

2. kylenelson

kylenelson You'll find me on the floor I Support TFP Senior Member

That stuff is nasty...I have only seen it once. Mind filling us in on the official name of that backing? (edit* poor reading skills strike again!!!) Sorry, I will wait for the guys to guess!

I'd love to get my hands on one of those key rings, alas, I must make it to a CFI certification one of these years. I would love if they did it in Vegas again next year, I would more than likely be able to go since I will have a wife that is making money (out of school! Hallelujah!). If I knew I was going to have such a good winter this year, I would have forked over the cash to go to the training this year.

3. Daris Mulkin

There is a possibility that will happen. Scuttle Butt is they would like to do trainings in all aspects of flooring- ceramic, resilient. hardwood, and carpet. Don't know if it will happen though, just what I had heard through the grapevine.

Daris

4. Floored by Newman

Floored by Newman Floored by Newman

That stuff is heavy also. I have installed some at the community college here. Great carpet just not installer friendly. Talk about going through blades.

5. I need to get one of them, how much are they again? I thought they run about 45$,

6. Roland Thompson

Roland Thompson Charter Member Senior Member

Can I guess?

7. kylenelson

Would it really be a guess?

8. Roland Thompson

I guess not.

9. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member Senior Member

I would say that is some type of unitary. I got one of the chains back when I went to inspector class. We all bought a chain from the guy that showed them, can't remember his name but I think he came up with the chain of backings idea. He wasn't 100% when that was and figure he isn't with us anymore. The way backings are popping up, there are more than 23 I bet.

10. Roland Thompson

What we care more then the name is if you know how it is to be installed. Some of you said you have installed it, so what are the installation methods?

11. Daris Mulkin

That would have been Doug Amundson. He has since passed and he was also a past president of CFI. I inherited the job. Trying to keep up with everything can be a real pain, plus getting the new backings is also.
    Whoever it was that asked how many there were. It probably goes into a couple hundred, don't know for sure. A lot of them are just ones we have had with maybe a sprayed on coating and it gets a new name. Things like that.

Daris

12. Floored by Newman

What would be different from any other commercial carpet application being glued down? :confused:

13. Daris Mulkin

Some products can be stretched in, some glue down only, while others can be double glued. Not all commercial products are installed the same, same with residential. Some require special adhesives as in psa. What the chain is for is to get the installer to notice he has something different and see what he has to do to install it. I have a situation here in my area where a installer had a velvet construction to glue down. He didn't have a clue on how to go about it the right way. Seams are raveling big time. I'm supposed to go in and baby sit the job repair to see if we can't stop it in the middle of the night with a 4 hour window.

Daris

14. Nate Hall

Nate Hall Types With toes I Support TFP Senior Member Published

Top-bar!

15. Floored by Newman

I would never think of stretching this in. Really can be done?

16. Daris Mulkin

If you are referring to the pictures the answer is NO. Glue down only. The product is UPS-RE-Unibond Flex Bloc. Bloc meaning a moisture retarder the blue stuff that was sprayed on. Works good in rest homes places like that where moisture can be a problem if you know what I mean.

Installation Instructions:
    http://www.themohawkgroup.com/sitefiles/PDFs/UnibondFlexBlocPlatinum.pdf

http://www.themohawkgroup.com/pages/PDFs/DoubleStick.pdf

Daris

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  17. kylenelson

Judging by the spread rate listed, a 3/32'' standard trowel looks to be the reccomended trowel? I'm getting sick of seeing these backings that REQUIRE 1/8'' U-notches. Oh, and of course you have to use the manufacturers adhesive.

18. Daris Mulkin

Have you ever used that Mohawk broadlock glue? Sweet stuff!! :yesss:

Daris

19. kylenelson

nope, I haven't. I install Shaw products about 95% of the time.

20. Daris Mulkin

I don't think Shaw would mind if you used a Mohawk product under their carpet. :ohno:

Daros