Titebond 531 under waterproof vinyl planks?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Flooring Q&A' started by Martha Freeman, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Martha Freeman

Martha Freeman New Member

We’ve had porcelain tile demo’ed off our concrete slab and contractor was about to install vinyl planks, but found moisture between slab & tiles in many areas. Plumber confirmed no leaks and slab shows no signs of moisture after 1 day uncovered. Based on info on other posts it seems likely to be natural seepage through the concrete. It hasn’t been a problem or even noticeable over the 25-yr life of the tiles, probably due to our arid climate + good landscape drainage against the house + transpiration through the grout around the 12” tiles. So now floors are dry and contractor is recommending leveling w/waterproof Titebond 531. We chose Smartcore Ultra vinyl planks due to their attached waterproof underlayment so Titebond seems redundant & raises the cost of the work significantly. What do you think?

2. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

Before I would start putting down anything I would do a few moisture tests
    And see what the numbers are.

We only install Koster for flooring to go over.

3. Commercial Floor Rep

Commercial Floor Rep I Support TFP Published

Some questions,

How old is the home? Is this on-grade or below grade?

If this is moisture "seeping through the slab" as you're stating then the Titebond product will not work. It has an upper limit of 85% Rh and 12 lbs. MVER.

My suspicion is that you have no intact vapor retarder under the slab. If this is the case then you'll have to go to a system that will handle 100% Rh.

4. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member