Titanium Dioxide

Discussion in 'Health & Safety Forum' started by Mike Sliwinski, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Mike Sliwinski

Mike Sliwinski The Doctor Is In I Support TFP Senior Member

I'm helping a friend paint basement walls with ' Drylock ' and The MSDS doesn't list any ppe (personal protection equipment) as it relates to respiratory protection :eek:
    What would you do ? wear a respirator and take a chance on passing out :eek:
    exhaust the room w/ fans and wear the respirator too, Or no mask and just use the fans to bring fresh air in and exhaust the fumes.

Mike

2. Mark Brown

Mark Brown On The Surface Flooring I Support TFP

Don't do what Donny Don't does and i would....
    Paint the walls and go....

so best advice, ventilation and respirator lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mark Brown

Google says its safe...
    You do with that what you want lol

4. epoxyman

epoxyman Pro Member

I’d use some fans for fresh air
    The epoxy we use some are really bad
    Like the MMA stuff it’s really nasty

Just be careful cause some paints and epoxies can kick off asthma

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mark Brown

about the only thing i mask up for when i do is fiberglassing. Be is mixing, layering or sanding. Its deadly for sure

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kwfloors

kwfloors Fuzz on the brain Charter Member I Support TFP Senior Member

Don't breathe when your doing, just sayin. :nooo:

7. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

I’d do both ensuring outside temp is appropriate to bring inside. The respirator would be approved for the product. It’s being rolled on?

8. seamsealer

seamsealer Pro Member

I would try to exhaust the existing air while bringing in fresh air from where you are working, if you can. Wear a mask too.

9. Mike Sliwinski

There was 3 windows, 2 on one side, set up with exhaust fans and one on the opposite wall, for fresh air in. Mother nature cooperated with wind blowing in that direction.

I bought 3M 6004 respirator cartridges, labeled Ammonia/ Methylamine and decided to test out for 20min. (while doing a Sudoku puzzle) this morning...... Now ! I know why doctor certification is needed, because I was struggling for enough oxygen and screwed up the puzzle. No way I'd last 6 hours painting, so It was dust mask, eye protection and gloves.

Any more advise for the next time ?

Thanks guys
    Mike

10. Mark Brown

You have a hard time in a respirator?
    I never found them to be an issue other than a pain in the ass, I have looked at getting a power assisted full face though just because they are ultra comfy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kwfloors

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mike Antonetti

Mike Antonetti Senior Member

Dust mask with exhaust valve?

Reason an industrial hygienist is required is to fit of air tight seal/sizing.

I use the 3m 7502 which is a medium size silicone facepiece. Very comfy and I’m not re breathing my exhausted air.

Your “dust mask” does nothing to filter out chemicals as there are different cartridges for different chemicals that needs to be verified.

I don’t know what offgassing chemical is in your drylok but it’s probably the vehicle solvent to allow it to be spread.

So good thing you had natural ventilation because well you just might of had a bad headache, dizzy,nauseous ness I’m guessing. Some paint strippers people die from even in ventilated spaces.

My cartridges are 3m 2297, they filer 99.97 or more and have activated carbon to filter out nuisance odors.

Air supplied masks would be some serious chemicals or confined spaces. When I was in military a few people died from entering voids with low oxygen. A system of testing oxygen levels was put in place to verify sufficient oxygen was present prior to entering.

• Like Like x 2
  13. kwfloors

I have one of the breathecool units, haven't used it yet but I thought it would just be another hose to drag around but going through goggles it might be cheaper since I have it. I have the tyvec hood one that can take tearoffs to protect the clarity. 50 feet of hose can get it to protected air.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mike Sliwinski

Ironically, before reading your post, I said to my brother
    about a 50' hose and some kind of snorkel mask. Thanks for the link, very impressive, and please post a review after using the system.

That's the one I just bought. I went to a special " Safety Store " but they had few cartridges in stock and not very helpful.

Regular dust mask, no exhaust valve thing, but it actually helped a little w/ the smell, but not the effects of the Titanium Dioxide, like you said. I wore it more for protection from paint splatter.

Mike